Hi! I am new here.

Hi!  Everyone.  I am a girl from Hong Kong who want to create an ebook.  I have a few questions.

1) Shall I make a fancy layout to my copy which will be uploaded?

2) Shall I design a book cover?

3) Will anyone in LuLu proofread it?

Hope someone who are kind enough to answer me.  Thanks!

Comments

• xpatannerley wrote:

Hi!  Everyone.  I am a girl from Hong Kong who want to create an ebook.  I have a few questions.

Welcome to Lulu!

1. I'm not sure what you mean by a "fancy" layout. A page design that is simple and easy to read is the best.

2. Absolutely! People do judge books by their covers.

3. No. That is your responsibility.

Good luck!

A PDF is more or less laid out exactly as a printed book is, and the file of pages can include a front and back cover. It cannot have a Lulu ISBN though, but will be placed on to your Lulu Spotlight (on line store.)

You will still have to create the same cover in the Cover Wizard though, and only the front, because that is used as the icon for it.

EPub 'pages' are totally different and rather that explain why it is best to look at Lulu's How To guide for them.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/tkb-p/ebook_formatting%40tkb

They also do not have covers as such. They have what Lulu call a Marketing Image, which is used as the front cover (no back) but you do not include it in the pages file, you create it within a Project Wizard and the software adds it as the first 'page' later.

• xpatannerley wrote:

Dao zhung hao.

1. A layout very similar to most commercial books is probably best. Find a book that you find very pleasing to your eye, in terms of font, line spacing, and font size. Then imitate that layout so far as the copyright laws allow.

2. There are several methods. The book wizard here on this website can help you design a simple cover, but more experienced users prefer to make a cover image that has all of the cover elements, such as title and author's name, bar code, and back blurb. Don't forget the spine width! There is a calculator to find the size. Also, you can hire someone to make a professional cover for you.

3.) You can pay for such a service, but it is not included in the free book publishing. I recommend that you use a friend who is very literate, well-educated, and not afraid to be very stern with you.

I hope that is helpful.