Publishing Templates and PDF Formatting from Non-Word Software

I am creating a print book through Lulu.com which involves bilingual Hebrew/English word processing.

I have already created the entire text through Davka 7 software (which is covertible to PDF), but don't know how to have this text conform to the Lulu publishing template (US Letter 8.5x11) in Word for margins, etc.--not to mention the accompanying style sheets.

Looking forward to your expert guidance; thanks so much!

Comments

• Don't use a template.

Just makes sure you have .5 inch margins all around, enough gutter so your words are not swallowed up in the crease, embed your fonts, print PDF and upload. That's it.

A citizen of the world.

• Em_Press wrote:

Don't use a template.

Just makes sure you have .5 inch margins all around, enough gutter so your words are not swallowed up in the crease, embed your fonts, print PDF and upload. That's it.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I understand ".5 inch margins all around", but I'm not experienced enough to know what "enough gutter so your words are not swallowed up in the crease" means operationally. That's why I followed the template last time.

Looking forward to further guidance; thanks again!

• If your book is less that 200 words, add a Gutter (extra space in the crease of the book-- look for the word in your software). Or, increase inside margins by .2. (example inside and outside .7, top and bottom .5.)

If your book is more than 200 pages add a gutter of .3.

Do a search on Google and Youtube to find where these functions are in your software. You can also click on your software's HELP function. Should look like a question mark.

Or, better yet, just stick to inside and outside .8, top and bottom .5 or .6.

A citizen of the world.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

The gutter is the right hand side of the left hand page of a book and the left hand side of the right hand page of a book. Half an inch margin all round is perfectly legible but if you want a more professional look an inch is probably better, or perhaps use a custom setting with wider left and right margins than top and bottom.

I work on the basis that self-published books are expensive enough compared to commercially published books so why would you want to pay for white space but each author has their own design aesthetic.