Problem with creating an ePUB...

Having recently revised an existing paper book of mine I decided to create an ePUB version. Using the .docx file of the the interior content I assigned a Heading 1 style to the title, copyright registration, etc. Like wise, I assigned a Heading 2 style to each chapter number. By the way, I'm using LibreOffice Writer as my word processor.

After saving the .docx file I proceeded to follow the steps to create an ePUB. After uploading the .docx file I proceeded to create the ePUB file. My attempt, however, was unsuccessful.

Instead, I received the following error message: "There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document."

I believe the instructions for creating an ePUB file stated that you are not to create the Table of Contents yourself; that will be done as part of the conversion process. So, can anyone tell me what's going on here, in particular why the ePUB converter is not seeing my headings, and how to successfully produce an ePUB file? Thanks.

Comments

• It's probably Libre Office.

Lulu accepts Open Office files. Just looked the two up and it seems they are not identical.

Use Open Office, save with their original extension. Don't convert to  docx.

Make all of them Heading1 and upload again with the original extension.

• I've run into this problem with Libre Office too. I think there is an issue when making a .docx file that does not properly attribute the Heading Styles. I would follow EM's advice.
  • Thanks, EM. Painfully, I'll give it another try with OpenOffice. BTW, the original .docx file was the same one I used to to produce a .pdf to upload to Lulu when I published the paper version of my book. In defense of LibreOffice I'll say it does a great job of exporting .docx files to PDF without the need for ancillary software.