Is Smashwords worth it?

I know that Lulu now pushes our books through a lot of channels, but I also know that Smashwords does too... and I'm not certain if they both cover all of the same distribution venues. Has anyone also submitted through Smashwords, and did you find it reached new readers? Are there foreign channels one reaches better? Do you need another ISBN to publish through Smashwords, or do they also used .epub format?

Thanks!

Comments

• Yes, they take epubs as well as Word DOC.

They kind of put the file through a meat grinder so you have less control of what people are viewing in different readers/platforms.

They distribute to:

Apple, Barnes & Noble, Scribd, Oyster, Kobo, Yuzu, Blio and Inktera, OverDrive, Baker & Taylor Axis 360, Gardners, and Odilo.

Lulu distributes to:

I had created a post a while ago with the list of Lulu ebook retailers. Did a Google and Knowledgebase search. Can't find it anywhere but there are over 25.

• There is likely a fair amount of overlap between our distribution channels. We primarily use Coresource to distribute EPUBs. A list of our current Coresource vendors is attached as a PDF (sorry, pasting the list in was not working well with our forums).

This list is the set of retailers we can link to through Coresource only, and it won't include individual retailers like iBookstore, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble.

• What do you mean they 'put it through a meat grinder' so you have less control? I don't want my novels to start looking like disjointed Spam luncheon meat...

• Thank you for the list, Paul! That's really helpful.

• Upload a test doc and watch the process.  You can then delete the project.