Epub goes through just fine on Smashwords or Draft2Digital, but not Lulu. Hmmm

I often create documents using the Atlantis word processor, which has the capability to save directly to an Epub file.  The files have been so good, in fact, that not only do they always pass with flying colors when I put them through here:

http://validator.idpf.org/

They ALSO pass without any issues when submit through Smashwords and Draft2Digital for retail distribution....and end up on Nook.com and iTunes without any problems.

But yet when I run them through Lulu it always says I have errors with the epubs.  Then when I turn around and try the regular document as opposed to the epub it says it can't create the epub.  

Hmmm....

Comments

• When creating epubs I only ever submit a Word file and never have any trouble.

I've seen a few posts where people trying to submit epubs have trouble with that.

• What is the error message you get?

Would you like to upload your doc here (and delete it later) so we can have a look? It might be something small and quickly fixable.

• Also, have you tried using an online converter? There are a lot of free ones out there, although I am not sure about Atlantis specifically. If all else fails you can search for a converter, change from Atlantis to .docx format and try to upload it, and see what happens. If that works, I would also download the preview file and go through it thoroughly to ensure nothing was mucked up in the process.

• For EPUBs, the most common reason I see for a failure to convert is an issue validating the metadata. It is important to be sure you validate for the correct EPUB version (3.0.1).

I would generally recommend using a Word file with Heading Styles set, as it is the easiest way to convert, and issues are much easier to resolve in a Word file than they are when editing an EPUB.

• After fiddling around with it a bit, it seems as though, even though the Epub always passes the online Epub check validator, Lulu just isn't going to accept it for some reason.  So I decided to try something else.  First I tried to directly upload the Atlantis document, which was in a .rtf format.  It wouldn't take.  So then I opened the file in Word and saved it is a .docx file.  I resent it and bam...it took it with no problems.  So, considering Lulu wouldn't take the basic .rtf or an epub created with Atlantis, I'm guessing they're a lot more stringent with some kind of formatting within the Atlantis programming than the Epub check validator is over on  http://validator.idpf.org/

Anyway, it's not a HUGE deal now that I've figured out how to get it to work, but it was definitely a pain figuring it out.