Fixed Layout and other errors. ?

So I created my book in Apple Pages, then edited the epub in Calibre and I've uploaded it to Amazon a few months ago. Everything's fine except for slow sales.

Now I wanted to upload the same here but I get these error messages:

The following issues can affect your EPUB's eligibility for certain channels:

• Did not pass epubcheck-3.0.1 validation. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
  • Contains unmanifested files. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
  • Contains invalid publication date XML. (Barnes & Noble)
  • Contains invalid publisher XML. (Barnes & Noble)
  • Your eBook was created with a fixed layout. At this time, we only distribute fixed layout eBooks to the Apple iBookstore. (Barnes & Noble)

How can I fix all that, I don't even know what most of it means. Mostly concerning is that "fixed layout" thing. What does it mean?

Here's my book on Amazon for reference: http://amzn.to/2dgs26n

Comments

• I don't know what all this means either but I do know that if you were to submit a Word document with Heading Style 1 allocated to the title of your book and the copyright notice as a bare minimum your book would successfully convert to epub. Perhaps the epub that you created has too much formatting locked into it which is not needed by the Lulu convertor.

• So for now, I went another route. Exported a .doc from Pages, then edited it in Open Office (freeware alternative for Word on a Mac).

Such an uphill climb! So I've figured how to get the chapters working but now it's ignoring my Arial font selection and making everything some serif font. I'll make a thread specifically about that.

• I'm sure that I read somewhere that you should use Times New Roman

for ebooks.

• The fonts are actually going to be fluid with an EPUB eBook. Each eReader device and EPUB reading program will give the reader an option to set their own fonts. We generally recommend setting the fonts to common one like Times or Garamond.

The "Fixed Layout" is a style of eBook that has set pages. Common EPUB eBooks do not technically have pages as such, and the text simply flows from beginning to end. What this means is that one eReader screen may have a differenet number of words than another (as the layout of the page is not fixed).