Extra blank pages inserted in epub

Have posted in reply to another thread in the general board, but just realised this might be a better place, so please forgive double posting.

I've finally managed to upload my file and convert it to epub. Apart from some silly glitches, which I'm sorting out, I have a question. My manuscript was prepared for print and has footnotes, which turn into endnotes at the end of each chapter in epub - fine. However, why is a blank page inserted after the end of the endnotes? In places this means that there are just a few lines of notes on a page, and then a blank page, which looks pretty silly - I'm reading my "proof" in Adobe Digital Edition on my PC, so will see how it looks once I can work out how to open it in my kindle, but I really don't see the need for blank pages.

Does anyone have any idea why this is so?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Have you tried looking at it in your browser or the adobe digital veiwer? The covertor usually gets rid of blank pages.

• I'm looking at it in adobe. The blank pages are not in my original word file - the convertor is adding them and I can't work out how to get rid of them.

• Try using another programme to open the file e.g. the epub reader extension in Firefox.

If the extra pages are not displayed there it might be a problem with Adobe. White space

is usually stripped out by the conversion process, so even if it was in your source document

it should not be in your epub.

• Thanks for that suggestion re firefox - all the blank pages have now disappeared, and I've spotted a few more glitches that were not obvious when looking via adobe.

Just as a side issue - I can't see a way of ensuring that the file will work in most sizes of ereader - is there one? My file contains some tables that look fine in adobe, but a bit odd in the firefox extension. I guess I will have to live with that, but would love to know if there is a trick to make the file look "ideal" in all ereader formats.

• Also, check your style settings.

It is possible that your chapter heading style includes the instruction to "Insert a page break before," which would explain the blank pages.

• Many thanks for that suggestion - it made a difference in some places!