Para indents

The main text in my book is a Word file, set in 12pt Times New Roman ranged Left, with all but the first para indented 1cm. This text is tagged 'normal'.

In the styles pane, indent is set at at 1cm.

However after using the Lulu convertor to ePub, the text becomes justified and all para indents have been removed.

How do I achieve para indents in ePub?

PS: this is my first try at ePub and the first time I've used Word. I normally use Apple Pages and although this program has a facilty to save as ePub, Lulu doesn't like it!

Comments

• Did you set the normal paragraph style to indent the first line or did you use the tab or space bar to insert the indention?

• Tab. I've copied the file from the print version. Are you saying I have to go through the file and delete all the tabs?
  • The converter sees tabs as extra spaces and removes the during the EPUB conversion process.

You do not have to remove them, just go into your normal paragraph style, add the indent to the first line and choose the option to apply to all instances of normal style.

It may look odd in the word document - with huge indents, but the converter will remove the tabs and honor the style setting.

Hope this helps.

• Glen -

thanks for that. Am now happy with my para indents.

However, in the style pane I have set the body copy to 12pt Times New Roman Ranged Left with zero hyphenation set.

But the convertor ignores this and my text is now justified with really horrible widow & orphans.

How do I force the convertor to range the text left? Or at the very least, NOT to hyphenate words?

• Glen -

thanks for that. Am now happy with my para indents.

However, in the style pane I have set the body copy to 12pt Times New Roman Ranged Left with zero hyphenation set.

But the convertor ignores this and my text is now justified with really horrible widow & orphans.
    How do I force the convertor to range the text left? Or at the very least, NOT to hyphenate words?

• If the words originally had hyphens when you upload the file, they will persist in the EPUB file. You have to remove them from the source file.

As to justification, it doesn't matter in an eBook. The reader chooses the layout and justification they prefer in the eReader settings.

• Glen -

my original file is range left with NO hyphenation (which I hate). This all happened when the file converted to ePub.

Any suggestions?
  • I have never run into this problem before. The converter does not insert hyphens.

Do the hyphens appear in the middle or at the end of the line of text?

What program are you using to view the EPUB file?

Check the display settings in the eReader? It could be set to allow hyphens.

• The hyphens are all at the end of a line, as normally happens with justified text. I'm using Apple iBooks to review the ePub. That program does not give an option to display range left. Only Font choice and point size. I assume from your reply that my problem is with iBooks and not the convertor and that my book will presumably look OK if opened in Kindle?
  • Thanks for the help. Publishing an ebook is indeed very easy. But only when you know how! It is completely counter intuitive to traditional print formatting.

My next hurdle will be marketing, as the book is not for everyone. Set in South London in the 1980s, it contains both strong language, explicit sexual scenes and for other reasons I will not reveal as it would spoil the plot, will also probably offend people who are deeply religious. So I think I've covered all the bases!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/charles-vyse/the-black-hand-gang/ebook/product-22852690.html