Selling to a library or store

I have no idea how to get my book on bookshelves.

Comments

• I'm working in the basis that you mean exactly what you say.

Click on Create on the main Lulu page. Select Print Book and choose the option to sell on Lulu, Amazon, etc. Get a free ISBN from Lulu and copy and paste this into your Word document. Convert your Word document to PDF. You can use free software such as doPDF. If the book you want to create is a 6 x 9 inch, for example, first change your page size in Word to 6 x 9 and check that the book looks the way you want it to. Make the PDF the same size and upload it to Lulu and they will distribute it to various distribution channels.

But, and this is a big but, it is not likely that many bookstores will order your book. The reason for this is that bookstores work on a sale or return policy. If they stock a book and no one buys it they send it back to the publisher for a refund. Print on demand doesn't work that way. So, I wouldn't worry too much about getting your book into bookstores. Some bookstores will make your book available for customers to order on a print on demand basis but they are not going to buy copies to put on their shelves.

You might be able to buy a few of your books and offer them to a local bookstore on a consignment basis. However your best bet is people buying your book from Amazon. Do what you can to let people know about your book so that they can look it up on Amazon.

• danielblue wrote:

The reason for this is that bookstores work on a sale or return policy. If they stock a book and no one buys it they send it back to the publisher for a refund.

Worse than that - most book stores don't return books they don't sell. They are "stripped" (the cover is cut off) and the book is recycled. Only the covers are sent back for the refund.