Lulu One-Piece Cover Uploader Question

Hey all!

I've just recieved my Lulu book (my trial copy) but its cover is completely off. I've gone back into my image file and checked the resolution, and I've made it to their exact criteria (3767px by 2775px). Logging back into the website, I notice that the cover previewer shows a green border around the entire image with scissor icons, and that this border seems to line up exactly where my cover was clipped upon arrival.

Does anyone out there know what I'm doing wrong? Why would Lulu ask for a specific image size for the cover just to trim it during conversion? If anyone has a workaround or solution to this problem, or knows exactly how many pixels Lulu clips during this process, I'd greatly apprecite it, as I'm quite annoyed and would love to have the cover I've worked so hard to format and create print to the specification Lulu needs without their extra "trimming."

Thanks, all!

Moslow

Comments

• This is a standard practice in printing.

"Bleeds allow you to run artwork to the edge of a page. On a press, the artwork is printed on a large sheet of paper and then trimmed down to size. If you do not allow for a 1/8 of an inch bleed, any misalignment while cutting will result with the artwork not running to the edge of the paper. Bleeds ensure you get the results you need.

For example, if you have designed a standard 3.5" x 2" business card with a red background covering the whole area, you will need to enlarge that red background to 3.75" x 2.25". This will make the red background extend 1/8" on every side of the page."

Info from here: http://www.serviceprinters.com/help/bleed-in-printing.html (but you can look up 'print trim / print bleed' anywhere to get the same kind of information)

Basically, you want the whole the cover as you designed it to fit within that green line - the rest is padding. So if your cover has a colored background, the whole image must have that colored background, but you want all of the text and important elements to fit inside of that line you mentioned.

6x9_Cover_Full_borders.png

This is my cover - notice how all important text and the barcode fall within the trim and bleed lines? This is what you're going for. You should be able to download the front and back cover templates from somewhere around here (I'll edit and link if I find it) but the spine you kind of have to work out on your own. 

EDIT: Templates seem to be here.

• The green lines show you where the cover will be cut off after printing. So make sure your graphics stay within that line.

• So if we see the green, like in my picture, does that mean there will be a border added to our cover, or that it will bleed to the edge? 

• It's very hard to figure out how to adjust the image in the cover.

I adjusted to the cut area and then centered my image into that, but there is a second preview created later that shows a different alignment. So frustraiting.

What to I go with?