without 'chapters'

hi, folks, just started this process.

i have open office now with mac and would like to show my book two line spaces between 'chapters' - that's all. the story skips around a lot between characters and locations and some may only be a couple of short paragraphs. there might be 100 or so 'chapters', if i have to make them all chapters.

if i can't use two blank lines would i have to use a number or text etc.? what am i missing?

any suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Hi Art,

Perhaps there is an equivalent in Open Office to the following, which I normally do in Word.

Create a new Style with a space of 18 or 24 before.

Highlight the text that requires the extra spacing and and assign the style. This will preserve the formatting no matter what the platform.

A citizen of the world.

• Hello Ardfalten

If these are scene changes in the same chapter, perhaps you could use the standard asterisks, centered.

Or insert a symbol or fleuron if you want to be fancy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleuron_(typography)

• I think the question is actually whether a header-styled text (chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3) is required in the file, since the eBook formatting can complain if you don't have obvious chapters in your file.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Scyoni, he can get away with making only the title and the word Copyright Heading 1.

A citizen of the world.

• thanks

• thanks, i was thinking of that too- may be the best or easiest solution for me
  • thanks