Errors after uploading file - image resolution and equation font size

Hi all,

I uploaded a "nearly finished" version of my manuscript; it's a textbook. I got 2 errors:

- I have low-resultion images in the file; Images less than 300dpi do not print clearly.

- Fonts less than size 6 do not print clearly. 

Now, my book has probably 100 images; any idea which ones the software doesn't like? How do I figure that out?

I think the small font is to do with equations, the suffix/ prefix, and the limits on summation and integration signs, and maybe a footnote. I am working in MS Word and using the Microsoft Equation editor. The main document is in Garamond 12. Any idea how to fix those fonts in an equation? And the prefix/ suffix in the document?

I uploaded a Word document. Do you think it would be more tolerant if I uploaded a PDF?

Thanks,

Sid

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor

sidd_d a écrit :

- Fonts less than size 6 do not print clearly. [...] The main document is in Garamond 12. Any idea how to fix those fonts in an equation? And the prefix/ suffix in the document?

Several of my books have footnotes. A note number in the text is superscript and very small. Invariably the Wizard advises me to revise my text because of these small types, and I never take this into consideration because this Lulu program is over-sensitive. Despite this warning, when I get my printed copy, it is always perfectly printed.

For instance, the samples below are what the Lulu wizard warns against.

small types-text.jpg

small types-fn.jpg

sidd_d a écrit :

- I have low-resolution images in the file; Images less than 300dpi do not print clearly.

This can't be helped. Do not include low-resolution pictures.

Now, my book has probably 100 images; any idea which ones the software doesn't like?

All colour pictures should be converted to "shades of grey", and made brighter and more contrasted, before they are embedded in your text. (My image processor is Photoshop.)

sidd_d a écrit :

I uploaded a Word document. Do you think it would be more tolerant if I uploaded a PDF?

A PDF is always preferable. I'd never think of uploading a raw file from Wordperfect, although it is the best wordprocessor on the market.

As I said in a post above, the Lulu text wizard is over-sensitive, and warns authors against small superscript and subscript types. Even with a PDF, you'll have this warning. Have the book printed and see the result.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Sid,

Ignore the small fonts notification. Sometimes they are just spaces that are small. Your book will not be rejected becuase of it.

Regarding the images, if you want to get into distribution, check that Word is not compressing the images in your file. File/Advanced, Tools/ Compress images/ Keep document resolution.

If the problem persists once you have done the above, check that your original images are all 300 dpi in Photoshop or similar software and reinsert.

A citizen of the world.

• Thank you Jean-Paul and Em_Press. These were all applicable issues in my case.