We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Google Play Books?

I've been trying to figure out what's up with the Google Play Books partner center for a while - since, as far as I can tell, Lulu doesn't get us in there. As far as I can see they basically shut it down and are pretending it'll reopen with no dates or hints or... well anything.

Anyone hear more than that, or is it a very firmly sealed door?

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Yes, I believe Lulu does (did) send us off to Google Play Books.

I hadn't heard thay had shut it down. If you've done research, give the link please. Save us a trip.

A citizen of the world.

• Well, here's the link to the official google page where you're supposed to sign up to publish your stuff. 

Here's a series of links [1] [2] [3] saying they did it to deal with CMS problems (popular theory was to make something like 'youtube's content-aware to prevent copyright theft). But they're all from early 2015. Nobody's really said anything about it since, and their website still says it's a 'temporary' closure for improvement purposes. 

The last time they commented on the subject was here, back in May 2015. People keep asking for updates but they haven't responded.

Hmm...That's so interesting. Thanks for the links.

Maybe someone from Lulu staff knows more.

PS. Scyoni, none of my business, but it would be great if you were a woman (not enough women posting here). Are you a woman?

A citizen of the world.

Great website, by the way.

A citizen of the world.

• Hello Scyoni

When you select the Kobo and Everywhere Else eBook distribution option, your book will be added to the Google Play bookstore.

It looks as if your first eBook sale was on 19 June on the iBookstore - it could be that your book has not yet made it onto the Google Play site. It can take a few weeks depending on when the site receives new content and updates their store.

• Thanks Glen Smiley Happy I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so I wasn't sure, but that's great. (Also of course it popped up on Play just now! Confirmed!)

And I am a woman Em - I seem to have a knack for ending up in communities full of guys (zombie survival games, DnD... hah.) I'm also a computer science student/researcher, which does help when putting a website together. Thanks for taking a look!

Well, Scyoni, I suspected as much. A woman who knows code, who knows how to make a website, who writes well, who can design an attractive banner, who is perceptive and sharp.

Welcome. We've  been waiting for you for a long time.

A citizen of the world.

• Book published in March and still not on play store or play books...? 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Just keep looking. I don't know how long it takes, but they do end up there eventually. An ISBN is needed I would assume.
  • Book published in March and still not on play store or play books...? 
    Lulu is having problems getting new books on google play because they updated their system in january and there was some problems and as such google play stopped accepting books from them until the thing is resolved in lulus end. That is what i was told anyhow. It might also apply to amazon because i published a book called The Philosophy of Paranoia (just a collection of short stories) and it is up everywhere bar google play and amazon. 

It is frustrating, but we just have to wait it out. Hopefully they will have fixed it soon. Any word on that from the mods?
  • Hi 

I dont mean to come across as rude, but does anyone working with Lulu know when this problem with google play books will be resolved?

Also, is there a similar issue with amazon because my e-book "The Philosophy of Paranoia" never got put up there. It is up every where else alright (except google play).

regards
    jack.
    How odd, because my books always end up at Amazon.
  • JackRErnestJackRErnest Author
    edited July 31
    How odd, because my books always end up at Amazon.
    Yea, strange enough. I presume it is the same problem as Google Play books.

It also says "processed" when i go into "manage" on the "my projects page."

But for some reason it never appeared on amazon despite this. I am afraid to update other e-books in case they disappear or something.
    Well, they wont disappear, they will still remain in your Projects  :)
  • Well, they wont disappear, they will still remain in your Projects  :)
    Oh sorry, what i meant is that i am afraid if i update them (which i need to do with one book) that it will disappear from amazon. 

Any word from the mods or do I have to contact them myself? 
  • Hi JackRErnest,

Google Play is not accepting titles from Lulu currently. We do not have a timeline of when this will change.

Kevin is right, your projects won't disappear if you update them. The previous listing will be available on Amazon and will not be updated until you approve of the new version.

I see the reason that your eBook "The Philosophy of Paranoia" is not on Amazon is due to the pricing. I have reviewed your eBook and it is not showing the updated price since it doesn't meet Amazon's minimum price (converted in all currencies) of 0.99. It's currently £ 0.77 in GBP. We suggest setting USD to 1.99 so it will be over the threshold for all Amazon pricing and allow them to update the price.

Here is our knowledge base article regarding the topic:

• Hi JackRErnest,

Google Play is not accepting titles from Lulu currently. We do not have a timeline of when this will change.

Kevin is right, your projects won't disappear if you update them. The previous listing will be available on Amazon and will not be updated until you approve of the new version.

I see the reason that your eBook "The Philosophy of Paranoia" is not on Amazon is due to the pricing. I have reviewed your eBook and it is not showing the updated price since it doesn't meet Amazon's minimum price (converted in all currencies) of 0.99. It's currently £ 0.77 in GBP. We suggest setting USD to 1.99 so it will be over the threshold for all Amazon pricing and allow them to update the price.

Here is our knowledge base article regarding the topic:

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Sorry i did not realize that it had to be a minimum price on amazon. I will change it now. 

regards jack.