Casewrap binding

Does Lulu's casewrap binding allow a book to open out and lie flat like a high-quality hardback, or is it more like a perfect-bound paperback? Might it depend on the printer who prints and binds it to order?

I am looking for the best binding/format for a Large Print edition.

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor

By default, no, but if you flatten it a bit, yes. Of course it will always be stiffer than a paperback, but the quality is superb.

• Thank you. Are you saying that the spine is or is not flexible like a high-quality hardback? When you say it needs flattening down, do you mean that the spine needs creasing the samw way as with a perfect-bound paperback, or what? I really need the details here, so I can make my own value judgements.

How dependent is it on the printer who happens to bind it?

• potetjppotetjp Professor

steelpillow a écrit :

Thank you.

You are welcome.

Are you saying that the spine is or is not flexible like a high-quality hardback?

No it is not as flexible as a high-quality hardback with sewn signatures, that costs about 40€.

When you say it needs flattening down, do you mean that the spine needs creasing the same way as with a perfect-bound paperback, or what?

The hard outer spine won't be creased because it is a solid piece of cardboard. The inner spine is flexible, and is not glued to the outer spine. The book is attached to its hard cover by a first and a last page in strong paper that are added by the printer.

How dependent is it on the printer who happens to bind it?

I have no idea. All my books are printed in France, and the result is excellent.

• Thank you.