ebook failure

After studying very closely and viewing the video tutorial and following the forums here, my ebook has failed and I get the message 'there appears to be no toc.' Here's what I did based on all the info I've gleaned in recent weeks:

1. Copied and pasted my doc into notepad (to wipe out any default headers etc.) and copied into a new word doc. 

2. Applied heading one style to title, copyright line, chapters. 

3. Used soft returns (as suggested by video tutorial) so that the title doesn't appear at the very top of the page.

4. Used 3 soft returns before each chapter number (for the same reason as above)

5. Used garamond font throughout 14 size for all text except copyright page (size 12)

6. I did some editing to re-establish italicised words that notepad altered (very important for understanding the story)

7. Formatted the heading style from the default calibre to garamond to match the rest of the text and chapter numbers in italics and bold.

When this failed I tried applying heading 1 to title and copyright line and heading 2 to chapter numbers. Still same message.

The message also says that some 'other' things have been fixed, such as unsupported fonts. I've used garamond throughout. 

Thanks

Comments

• I took a quick look at your file and it looks like the Heading Styles, while present, are not showing in the file. I'm going to make you a support case and look into it further to see if I can figure out what's causing the issue.

• I am having this same issue with my ebook "60 Years in Queensland". I am using Heading1, Heading2, Heading3...and don't really want to put: Chapter 1, Chapter 2 etc at the beginning of each Heading 2 item.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

Chris

• Hi Chris,

Based on the warning message you are getting when you convert the file, it looks like there are not any Heading Styles in the file currently. You'll need to assign Heading Styles to the title, front matter, and chapter titles to properly format the table of contents.