Color Photo book letter size upload pdf

I have a memories type book of very old family photos.  And some newer color pictures.  I have read that a regular book doesn't use coated paper so if I choose that, the paper will get wavy.  The only book that uses coated paper is the photo book, so I guess that is what I will have to use.  I couldn't find a letter size so I am hoping maybe I missed how to choose this?  A larger square book is more unpleasant for seniors to handle, and smaller square books are impractical for what I want.  Any suggestions?

Also, I am using that terrific Serif Page Publisher X9 to create the layout.  Love this program!  I plan to print to pdf, will there be anything I should be watching for?  What is the most used inside and outside margins for a pleasing layout?  None are double spreads.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• I was further checking and Lulu has the dust cover premium hard cover on thicker paper that is supposed to be color photos. Would this work for pages full of color pictures? Also, the pdf needs to be formatted for 8.25 x 10.75. I am assuming I will also have to take off the margins from those measurements? Just want to make sure Smiley Happy
  • Now I confused myself. The dust cover premium hard cover uses 8.5 x 11 paper. So do I format my pages for the 8.25 x 10.75? and not worry about the margins? That is, do I set the paper size in Serif Page Publisher for 8.25 x 10.75? Then do I print to pdf also at 8.25 x 10.75? I am confused ...
  • I have a memories type book of very old family photos.  And some newer color pictures.  I have read that a regular book doesn't use coated paper so if I choose that, the paper will get wavy.

No it will not.

The only book that uses coated paper is the photo book, so I guess that is what I will have to use.

They use photo-grade paper, but the name is a clue that the Photobook Studio Wizard is only for creating a photo album in, not a book that may also have pages of text.

I couldn't find a letter size so I am hoping maybe I missed how to choose this?  A larger square book is more unpleasant for seniors to handle,

It is? Why?

and smaller square books are impractical for what I want.  Any suggestions?

I am not sure you can actually upload a PDF to the Studio Wizards. I think what it does if you pick the upload a complete file option is redirect you to a 'normal' book Wizard. Which are here >>

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

Also, I am using that terrific Serif Page Publisher X9 to create the layout.

Will that allow embedding of fonts in to a PDF?

Love this program!  I plan to print to pdf, will there be anything I should be watching for?

Does it allow Gutters, Page Breaks? New Section? Heading Styles? Right and Left pages?

What is the most used inside and outside margins for a pleasing layout?

It often depends on how many pages there are but no less than 0.5" I would suggest, and a Gutter.

None are double spreads.

• My 92 year old has a 12x12 scrapbook made for her. It is too heavy for her, and because it is so large it is difficult for her to see the content nearer the top because of her poorer eyesight. So that's why letter size works better for seniors.

I did a google search and Lulu mentioned the wavy pages if too many color photos were on one page. So I will be ok with many color photos on each page in regular book then? Yes, Serif Page publisher can embed fonts to a pdf, and can do all you mentioned.

For the margins, I put a ruler on the master page in Serif Page Publisher of 1/2 inch outside and 3/4 inch on binding side including the gutter. So this way I can move and adjust. I am assuming I can use regular letter size 8.5x11 for the page size then just have the content within the ruler lines and I'll be all right?
  • My 92 year old has a 12x12 scrapbook made for her. It is too heavy for her,

Scrapbooks are generally heavy because they are full of cut out scraps whereas books are not. Size is not as much of an issue as weight. A hardback is heavier than a paperback, and each depends on the number of pages, also. But books do not always have to be held to be read. 

and because it is so large it is difficult for her to see the content nearer the top because of her poorer eyesight.

That is why Large Text editions are published.

So that's why letter size works better for seniors.

Are you not going to have an ISBN? Is this book only aimed at your own relations? But if you are concerned, then A5 would be better would it not? Or even a PDF or ePub e-books.

I did a google search and Lulu mentioned the wavy pages if too many color photos were on one page.

I am not sure why that would be the case, it's not something I have seen mentioned in the Forums. It may be true of the Premium options, that use a cheaper paper, but the papergrade used in the other book options is far better than normally used for books, and is also nice and white. I often print at photo settings on to 80gsm A4 paper and it does not go wavy.

So I will be ok with many color photos on each page in regular book then?

It should be OK. Obviously not as good as photo-grade paper, but using a normal book Wizard will allow you full control over what is on your pages.

Yes, Serif Page publisher can embed fonts to a pdf, and can do all you mentioned.

Lulu's Wizards often expect a particular type of PDF. I use ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A) Any non-Lulu approved fonts also have to be embedded.

For the margins, I put a ruler on the master page in Serif Page Publisher of 1/2 inch outside and 3/4 inch on binding side including the gutter. So this way I can move and adjust. I am assuming I can use regular letter size 8.5x11 for the page size then just have the content within the ruler lines and I'll be all right?

Indeed. All the pages in your original file have to be the exact size of the Project you have opted for, and their margins set within that, and content within the margin lines. (Apart from Headers and Footers which need to be set at least 0.5" from the edges and the margins auto-adjust to them.) You should not have to use ruler lines. There should be a default margin tool and that will show the margin also.

The bottom line is that the printed Proof is the best way to tell if your settings work, and if they do not then you adjust your original file, and then Revise in the Wizard.

• How to put to color is photo