ISBN and Final Production Questions

I am finalizing a print-ready PDF for Lulu.com, and want my non-profit organization to be listed as the publisher. The cover design in a relevant format should also be available within a few days.

I have reviewed http://www.lulu.com/shop/yourisbn/service/product-yourisbn.html. Does the "YourISBN" service include the generation of a barcode (for the cover whose design I will provide), or is that an additional cost? What is the difference between "YourISBN" and the $150 ISBN / barcode package offered directly by Bowker?

Do I understand correctly that "Bring Your Own ISBN" (whether through Lulu.com or through Bowker) will allow me to sell my book through the Lulu.com marketplace and elsewhere without additional distribution costs? Is it possible to purchase a proof copy without a full Lulu distribution package?

Finally, I am hoping to make the book available to readers for purchase and (U.S.) delivery no later than April 22nd. Once I add the ISBN and barcode to the cover, is there anything else I need to consider for expediting this process?  For example, how soon might I be able to receive a proof copy once I have downloaded all necessary documents?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Comments

• Wherever you get your ISBN from, the barcode will appear on the back cover of your paperbacks. The Lulu service is free. The only downside, as far as I can see, is that Lulu will automatically stop tax for any US sales if you use their service. A bit of a pain for non US authors.

Any book with an ISBN can be released for sale through Lulu. Lulu will charge per book sold. There are no other charges. You can choose to distribute through iBooks, Amazon etc but your book will have to go through extra verification checks first. There is no charge for this except the charge the outlets levy per book sold. You must purchase, receive and accept a proof copy first. Your book will not be available outside Lulu until this step is complete.

Books are available to purchase through Lulu within seconds of pushing the Publish button. If you choose to distribute to Amazon et al then this can take 4 to 6 weeks after you have approved your proof copy (for a paperback) and your manuscript passes all the QA checks, which can take a couple of weeks. iBooks is usually first at about 2 weeks, then Kobo and Barnes and Nobel and finally Amazon in my experience. The printer in the UK usually turns my books round in 3 to 5 days with delivery on top of that, depending what you pay for. You cannot speed any of the processes up but you can accept the proof copy before you actually receive it although I would not recommend it in case you find a glaring error.

Hope this helps

• potetjppotetjp Professor

Hello,

If you have created your own one-page cover, you have to include the ISBN yourself in the right position and in the right dimensions.

On the other hand, your printed book can only have a free Lulu ISBN if its format is distributable. 

If such is your case, when you create your book with Lulu, you will be offered a free ISBN. Accept it, copy it, go back to your computer file, and paste it on your copyright page inside your book (the one after the title page). After the symbol © add the name of the charity that is the copyright owner. You don't have to worry about the ISBN on the back cover. It will be automatically printed there by Lulu. 

Now that your text is ready, make a PDF version of the file and upload it to Lulu.
    After the book is finished, you’ll have to fill a file describing its characteristics. Take the general licence. Put the name of your charity in the editor’s box.

Hope this helps.

waysofpeace a écrit :

Finally, I am hoping to make the book available to readers for purchase and (U.S.) delivery no later than April 22nd. Once I add the ISBN and barcode to the cover, is there anything else I need to consider for expediting this process?  For example, how soon might I be able to receive a proof copy once I have downloaded all necessary documents?

It takes about a week to get your proof if your book is softbound, and two weeks for a hardcover.

Your readers will be able to order your book directly from Lulu as soon as you have approved it.  They don't have to wait until it is distributed by Amazon, etc.

• ChrisDevine wrote:

Wherever you get your ISBN from, the barcode will appear on the back cover of your paperbacks. The Lulu service is free. The only downside, as far as I can see, is that Lulu will automatically stop tax for any US sales if you use their service. A bit of a pain for non US authors.

Thanks so much, ChrisDevine--

Do I understand correctly that Lulu will generate a free barcode if I purchase "YourISBN"?

And can you clarify the tax issue you mentioned?  (I am a US author, so not sure if it's relevant to my situation.)

Thanks again!

• potetjp wrote:

It takes about a week to get your proof if your book is softbound, and two weeks for a hardcover.

Your readers will be able to order your book directly from Lulu as soon as you have approved it.  They don't have to wait until it is distributed by Amazon, etc.

Thanks, Jean-Paul!

To clarify, my previous questions were about "YourISBN," not about the free Lulu ISBN.

waysofpeace

waysofpeace a écrit :

To clarify, my previous questions were about "YourISBN," not about the free Lulu ISBN

You are welcome.

If you use your own ISBN, you've got to include it (digits and barcode) yourself either in the one-piece cover you've made yourself or in the background picture you've made for the backcover. Lulu cannot print it for you.

Don't forget to add the ISBN in your copyright page (the one after the title page inside your book), as well as © + copyright owner's name - in your case a non-profit organisation.

• potetjp wrote:

You are welcome.

If you use your own ISBN, you've got to include it (digits and barcode) yourself either in the one-piece cover you've made yourself or in the background picture you've made for the backcover. Lulu cannot print it for you.

Now I'm somewhat confused again.  How do I generate the barcode myself?  I understood from ChrisDevine above that the barcode was free with "YourISBN."  

I sent these questions to Lulu Support on 3/21/16, but have received no response to date.

Thanks again in advance,

waysofpeace

waysofpeace a écrit :

Now I'm somewhat confused again.  How do I generate the barcode myself?  I understood from ChrisDevine above that the barcode was free with "YourISBN."  
    I sent these questions to Lulu Support on 3/21/16, but have received no response to date.

You are creating your own one-piece cover, aren't you?  So you, and/or the person creating your cover, have to stick the ISBN+barcode on your backcover yourselves.

1) If you have got your own ISBN and its barcode from another company than Lulu, then this company should have given you the image of the barcode.

2) If you have accepted the Lulu ISBN,  you must have noticed Lulu offered you to download its PDF. So just download it, copy the image (by screencapture, etc.) and stick it.

If you didn't create you own one-piece cover, and dealt with the front, the back and the spine separately, Lulu would automaticlly print the ISBN+barcode on the backcover, and you wouldn't have to worry about all this.

Below, one of my covers. The ISBN and its bar code were printed by Lulu because I processed the front, the spine and the back separately. As you can see, the result is professional.

Y&N-8x4.jpg

• I have only used the Lulu generated ISBN and I upload separate front and back covers so Lulu puts the ISBN on the back cover and calculates the width of the spine for me. This works well for me. It does mean that I have a solid cover on the spine instead of an image but it also means I can't make a mistake calculating the width of the spine and like, potetjp's does look very professional

• Thanks again to both of you for your help--and Lulu Support finally checked in as well.

waysofpeace

Good.