List how many books you sold in the 1st 3 months

I thought it might be interesting to see how many books were sold and what kind, and at what price points. Participate if you like. I'll start (although in my case it has been one month):

0 - Amazon

0 - Barnes and Nobles

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor

It depends on the title. For my first book, published in 2011 if I am not mistaken, Numbers and Units in Old Tagalog, several copies were bought after I advertised it on Facebook.

Some of my titles do not sell, such as my 2-volume sitcom Spiffies and Loonies and its French version Fringues et Dingues. A single set of its bilingual version, Extrapolations, has been bought so far.

My fictionalized lifestory in two books, Concombre en Absurdistan and Concombre aux Philippines, only appeals to people who have had similar experiences particularly, for the former book, those who were in Algeria by the end of its war of independence. 

Unsurprisingly, nobody is interested in the anthologies of my dreams, L'onirothèque de Quentin Cumber. Frankly I couldn't care less. Smiley LOL

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

I published some colouring books at the end of January.  I sold seventeen.

That being said, my first few books I sold one or two a year, if I was lucky.

A citizen of the world.

• I've sold a couple books in the past. When Lulu allowed CDs though, I sold several albums. They seemed to sell better than my books but I'm really not fond of the stuff I did in the past.

The book I'm very proud of though is my first volume of poetry, which hasn't sold yet, but I have a few people interested. Smiley Happy
  • For income tax purposes, here is a list of total sales of books through Lulu the last few years:

2015  $1,173.

2014  $    693.

2013  $ 1,035.

I started with Lulu back in 2004. Sales grew by the year. Be patient. I am working hard to make 2016 my best year ever in sales. Why.? I plan to market better and more consistently.

I have a feeling there are authors at Lulu that have sales much greater than mine. I hope they come here and tell us their success stories, and how they did it.

Joseph Babinsky

• I can't remember my sales in the first three months. Double figures, I would imagine.

But what I'd say is not to get hung up on initial sales. Sales will grow if you do your marketing. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If your book is good, just help people to find it and the rest will follow.

I've only published one book so far (I'm a slow writer) and, like most other people, I struggled to get my sales off the starting line. It can be discouraging at first. However, it's now 3 years later and that book has sold several thousand copies, and it's continuing to sell with no more help from me. I can only speak for my experience, but it seems as though sales hit a critical mass (which I've just decided I'm going to call Coady's Constant) and then word of mouth does the rest.

Success depends on what you're aiming for. I count my book as a success because I expected to sell a few copies to friends and family. More successful and better writers than me on this forum would count my sales as a terrible failure. Set yourself a (realistic) target. If and when you hit it, amend it.

What I'm saying is, hang in there. Writing the book was the easy part. 

Congratulations

• potetjp wrote:
    Congratulations

Thank you, although re-reading my post makes me realise my previous post was somewhat more smug than I intended it to be. My point was that the OP shouldn't be overly concerned with a slow start to sales

No need to say that. I liked your post because it is an encouragement to all of us.

• 20 books

• 6 through Amazon.
    • 6 through Ingram.
    • 4 ebooks from outside Lulu.
    • 2 through Lulu

I must mention that I have been working at promoting my books more than last year.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I never even bother to look, although I do get emails from Amazon. But to be frank I would just say MYOB   Smiley Very Happy

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile
    Dyson's Delves I - Print Sales - First 90 Days - $4,348
    Dyson's Delves II - Print Sales - First 90 Days - $1,053
    Magical Theorems & Dark Pacts - Print Sales - First 90 Days - $632
    Dodecahedron 2015 Cartographic Review - Print Sales - First 90 Days - $728

(I also sell these titles through a competing PDF bookstore that targets my specific market, but all electronic / PDF sales are not through Lulu)

Finally, my primary income is now through my Patreon campaign which brings in about $2,300 USD per month. The books are collections of the material released through Patreon, so each page of the book has typically earned me about $230 per page prior to being released in a book.
    Impressive! Congratulations!