Comments

• good read, thanks for sharing!

• Amazon reviews were terrible on that book. Said it sold very low in U.K. as well. Most said it was a scam.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Hmm..I'm fighting the urge to be negative. And losing.

His covers are horrible, his facial expression seems angry, dishonest, he's trying to make money off of the fact that he made money. And he has few reviews. Seesh.

I'm with Shadow here. Something's not right.

A citizen of the world.

But --- kudos for sharing. Thought's in the right place.

A citizen of the world.

• I largely agree, I'm not going to buy his "how-to" book or anything, but the fact that he was able to achieve what he did is impressive

But Paul, is it true? Did he really? Then why is he trying to make more  money from non-fiction? I don't know... doesn't make sense.

A citizen of the world.

• I'm going to say, yes, he did really do it. He's on Amazon's best seller list. I agree about the covers. They're terrible, but he didn't design them. He had someone else do it for a one time payment, so they were covers on the cheap. I don't think Amazon would lie about their best sellers though, but who knows? Maybe they ARE lying, but I don't know how that would be good for business.

Anyway, if he DID do this, it's quite impressive and I enjoyed reading the article. :-)
  • Actually, I just read the reviews and now I have a completely different opinion. He admitted to paying thousands of dollars to get good reviews on his books. I now don't think he's that honest after all. I read the article first and didn't read the reviews until just now. I'm thinking this is a case of the rich getting richer by any means necessary!
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Shadowmonkey wrote:

Amazon reviews were terrible on that book. Said it sold very low in U.K. as well. Most said it was a scam.

I wish I had such "low" sales.    

There are those who would say that's all that matters.

His covers are horrible,

A very popular sort of cover, though, in the pulp fiction business, mostly aimed at females oddly enough.

his facial expression seems angry, dishonest,

Gosh that's a very Victorian attitude. Are his eyes too close together also.

he's trying to make money off of the fact that he made money. And he has few reviews. Seesh.

If you clicked the link to his How-To book you would also have seen all the fiction books he has published and sold, and such How I Did It books are far from rare, not that I bother reading them. Many people do though.

There was once a monthly publication that made millions for the writer and many others did also profit from it (and many did not!) What it consisted of was marketing advice on how to market the publication to other people, and so on. The method has been much copied since.

Em_Press wrote:

But --- kudos for sharing. Thought's in the right place.

I'm not sure now why I bothered.

but the fact that he was able to achieve what he did is impressive

That was indeed my main point. If he also wants to try to make dosh by publishing how he did is by the by, far from unusual, and I only posted the second link while passing.

I have just searched using 'how to successfully self-publish' and came up with 800,000 results.

But Paul, is it true? Did he really?

It's in a highly respected newspaper. If you look at his content on Amazon it tells you how many he's sold.

Then why is he trying to make more  money from non-fiction?

Why should he not? Lot's of fiction writers also write non-fiction, and vice versa.

I don't know... doesn't make sense.

Neither do the attitudes displayed in these replies     Smiley Frustrated

Actually, I just read the reviews and now I have a completely different opinion. He admitted to paying thousands of dollars to get good reviews on his books. I now don't think he's that honest after all.

But unfortunately that's not an uncommon trick, in fact agents and publishers use every trick they can think of and also have the money to do it.  Book selling is a business.  I would suspect that now he's made a few bob he's telling people how he did it. Is that not being honest?

I read the article first and didn't read the reviews until just now. I'm thinking this is a case of the rich getting richer by any means necessary!

Is he not telling you how in his How I book? I never buy such things. They often disappoint, but they are not always intentional scams. Is it not the same as all the Dragon's Den Dragons, for instance, also writing about how they become multi-millionaires? What's the problem? People do not have to buy their books, but many do.

• It certainly looks as though it will be interesting reading, may just buy a copy.