Revision after approval

Hi folks, hoping someone can help me here. I have three versions of my book: an 8.5 * 11 paperback; and a 6*9, both hardcover and paper. I approved all three, but have subsequently retired the former; meantime I have revised, and am waiting for the proofs to arrive for, the latter. A little research through these forums proved amazon to lag with regard to retired works; that is the least of my conerns. I simply mention it in order to provide a more comprehensive picture, so as to be better positioned to understand what has happened. On amazon, my hardcover and the aforementioned retired work are shown as available, including as new, even eligible for free shipping on orders over $25 (a pleasant surpise!) Again, I understand amazon may lag in updating all this, including the revised edition. So I know that, here, I'll have to wait to see what transpires.

My main concern is with Barnes & Noble. While the amazon stuff has been up for days, the B&N listing (only the hardcover, at the moment) just appeared today. It may be simply inchoate, but I wonder how my post-approval revision has affected the process. For, the cover for one is not coming up; moroever, the work is not listed as available through B&N, only through the marketplace--and even there, there is no link. When I clicked on the link to my book at B&N via allbookstores.com, it says, "The merchant is not active." Is this what it *should* say, given I have revised, after having approved, my book?

I am still waiting for the revised proofs to arrive; and, if all's well, to approve them. As soon as my book is available to be ordered by B&N, I have been offered to do a book-signing, via some sort of arrangement via consigment. If everything is happening as it should (at least, with regard to B&N), then there is no problem. If there is a glitch (due to my having revised after the books were already approved), then it would certainly be helpful to know.

Sorry for the loquaciousness. My search for revision issues did not turn up a ready-made answer. Perhaps the problems I've laid out may be of value to someone else in a similar position.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Marc Cohen

Comments

• Hi folks, hoping someone can help me here. I have three versions of my book: an 8.5 * 11 paperback; and a 6*9, both hardcover and paper. I approved all three, but have subsequently retired the former; meantime I have revised,

Is that not four books and two types? Revised the retired one?

and am waiting for the proofs to arrive for, the latter.

I am getting a tad confused as to which you refer to.

A little research through these forums proved amazon to lag with regard to retired works;

One would expect it to take up to 8 weeks as it does to originally arrive at Amazon, for example. But I do not see how that works when a book is withdrawn because within those 8 weeks how is the book going to be made if withdrawn at Lulu? I suspect that's almost instant, or it should be. The Revised one will take up-to 8 weeks to be updated.

that is the least of my conerns. I simply mention it in order to provide a more comprehensive picture, so as to be better positioned to understand what has happened. On amazon, my hardcover and the aforementioned retired work are shown as available, including as new, even eligible for free shipping on orders over $25 (a pleasant surpise!) Again, I understand amazon may lag in updating all this, including the revised edition. So I know that, here, I'll have to wait to see what transpires.

Well, as I say. If a book is retired/withdrawn, should it not happen instantly? If not then does that not mean that people can still buy the book for 8 weeks, when the publisher for some reason thinks it should not be on sale?

My main concern is with Barnes & Noble. While the amazon stuff has been up for days, the B&N listing (only the hardcover, at the moment) just appeared today. It may be simply inchoate, but I wonder how my post-approval revision has affected the process.

Which do you mean? The retired one or the revised one? Or both? But I doubt it affects the process, it will just auto-update.

For, the cover for one is not coming up; moroever, the work is not listed as available through B&N, only through the marketplace--and even there, there is no link. When I clicked on the link to my book at B&N via allbookstores.com, it says, "The merchant is not active." Is this what it *should* say, given I have revised, after having approved, my book?

I am still waiting for the revised proofs to arrive; and, if all's well, to approve them. As soon as my book is available to be ordered by B&N, I have been offered to do a book-signing, via some sort of arrangement via consigment. If everything is happening as it should (at least, with regard to B&N), then there is no problem. If there is a glitch (due to my having revised after the books were already approved), then it would certainly be helpful to know.

Different sites can take different times, and often update a bit at a time, and if you Revise that will take the same time. I only ever look at Amazon. You can of course buy the books from your own Spotlight to take to signings, they appear listed there quite fast.

Sorry for the loquaciousness. My search for revision issues did not turn up a ready-made answer.

Well it does get mentioned a lot here!

• Hi, thanks for your response. As the day progressed, bn.com progressively completed the links. Internally, however (i.e., in the brick-and-mortar store, on their *internal* ordering system, i.e., 'Bookmaster'--not bn.com), it is only listed as available through the marketplace (i.e., third party.) On bn.com, it is available through B&N, and, hence, for instance, also qualifies for free shipping. I think this is a good sign, though. For, it would mean that the brick-and-mortar store has embargoed the ability to order it while it's in limbo; but, once approved by me, and thereupon accepted on their end some time after, I am hoping the brick-and-mortar store can order it as POD the way they can for other books. (The POD message comes up in the store, but the add-to-the-cart button for the moment is disabled. This makes sense, given my hypothesis.) In which case, bn.com (like amazon.com), it seems, tend to lag behind (possibly for the aforementioned 6 to 8 weeks?) regarding revisions. B&N's internal ordering mechanism (e.g., 'Bookmaster'), it seems, is more exacting; at least, that is where my logic and self-interest seemto coincide with regard to an explanation. I suppose only time will tell. (The way I'll be able to tell will be that the publication date will change to that of the revision; whereas, for the moment, the original date is the one showing on all of the above-mentioned resources.)

Again, if this is working the way I think it is, this is happening exactly as it is supposed to. If this be the case, one might imagine that, when amazon has brick and mortar storesup and running, their internal systems too might be more sensitive to updating (and, hence, making temporarily unavailable, save through third party sellers) revisions in the works.

Thanks again for your input,

Marc

• It's possible that 'real' bookshops will order a POD book to fill an order placed by a customer, but few will buy POD books for stock because there's no sale or return offered.

Some will not obtain them for a customer, though, because they use their own distribution/acquisition companies and one has to hassle those to list one's book's ISBN. But all the same, even if you can get listed, if sale or return is not offered they will still not buy them for stock.

Amazon have been threatening 'real' shops for years. Why do they have need of them? But nevertheless, our books are still POD books.

• Hi Marc,

Our POD books generally won't appear in a brick & mortar stores ordering system, specifically because stores like Barnes & Noble have elected not to make them available through their physical stores. 

As for the revisions, they can take up to 6-8 weeks after you approve the revision for Amazon/B&N to update their listing. During that time, the previously approved version will still be available. It can take different vendors more or less time to get the listing up and active, and even then, sites like allbookstores.com might take even a little longer to connect to the correct listing. For example, I see your book listed on B&N.com, but there's no B&N link on allbookstores.com. 

• Hi guys, thanks for input. I know for a fact that B&N's internal system *does* allow them to order pre-pays (via Ingram). No, they will not stock them, but they can and do order them. So, again, I'm hoping this due to either the still-inchoate nature of the book's approval, or rather to a hiccough caused by the revision process. In a couple of days, I will go check the brick-&-mortar and see if anything has changed. Bn.com has my book available now, including with free shipping, just like Amazon. (The difference is, when available via Bookmaster, i.e., their internal system, pre-paid books *are* not only available to order, but also one pays the brick-&mortar store itself; which latter then proceeds to do the order. (This works for the whole Ingram network.) What I am waiting for, in addition to being able to sell my book via pre-paid orders *in-store* (which, again, happens all the time with countless works; if it's ordered via bn.com, however, the local store does not get the sale), is for the approved revision to be updated; that is, the date of the book's publication needs to read "2/18", not "1/31". I'm holding off the book-signing until these things (well, at least the latter) obtain.

Will chime in if/when I learn something new.

Thanks again :-)

Marc