TOC

My headache on TOC

Lulu TOC has bogged me down. I just tried to be smart to be an author by writing a book Sex Fun to be published in ebook.

I am new in this field and tried three times to ask Lulu to help format my book with a fee of USD750 some months ago. Lulu promised to ask someone to contact me but he never turned up.

I reckon Lulu could be an elite class of publisher with higher standard of requirements. It is much easy for me to get into Smashwords and my book has been published with ISBN No.: 9781311731876

I still want to get into this elite class and may write further books on world finance and economy besides this odd Sex Fun

Can anyone help?

Rgds.

Lawrence Louis

Comments

• Glenn_LuluGlenn_Lulu Author Author

Lulu is not elite, by any means.

We simply use a different technology.

If you wish to do-it-yourself,  take a few minutes to review our eBook Creation Guide, I am confident you will have success converting your manuscript to EPUB format.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/General-Discussions/Base-Price-Calculator/m-p/336364

There is also a video tutorial specific to creating an eBook table of contents:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Video-Tutorials/Video-Tutorial-How-to-Publish-an-eBook-with-the-Best-Table-of/ta-p/204199

• I have read them word by word many times and have tried to revise my scsript more than 30 times.  Yet I failed. Only God can help me.

Lawrence Louis

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

Lawrence,

Smashwords formatting is almost identical to Lulu. Just upload the word doc that you used for Smashwords -- with a different ISBN (after unpublishing the book at Smashwords since both are distributing to the same retailers.)

If you get a specific notification, come back here and post it. We'll be able to guide you.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I cannot find that ISBN listed anywhere.

When I tried Smashwords years ago I am sure all they asked for was a plain file with nothing tagged to be converted to a TOC, or a pre-created TOC. It gave the impression they did that, or did not have the TOC rules Lulu have to implement. But it was years ago.

To the OP >> A file for use at Lulu to be converted to an ePub is actually very simple (and perhaps best as a docx.) Just text on a file of almost otherwise empty pages, the size and margin sizes being irrelevant. Then tag what is wanted/needed in a TOC with Heading Style 1 (HS.) It can be a word, words, or a number. The basic to pass Lulu's guidelines are Title and the word Copyright to be in the TOC. It does help if you have Word though or something else that has HSs.

• To    Em_Pressm

Many thanks, Em_Press ,

I did submit the same script as was accepted and published by Smashwords but it did not get through Lulu.

What I found the difference of the two is in TOC.  Lulu create the TOC for us after we have followed the guideline to tag the Headline (or as Lulu call it Chapter) correctly whereas Snashwords allow us to created our own TOC with whatever styles or hyperlinks we want.

With best regards.

Lawrence

• To kevinlomas

Dear kevinlomas,

The Smashwords ISBN No.: 9781311731876 is correct. You just key it into the

Smashwords Search Box and the ebook Sex Fun will come out.

I respect you as a well seasoned writer and I may have a lot to learn from you.

Smashwords now leave the TOC to be designed and tagged with whatever hyperlinks we want.

Thanks for your advice. I did try as what you mentioned here but it failed. Maybe I did something wrong somewhere. As a beginner I asked Lulu to help with USD750 to format my script three times. Each time they promised to ask someone to contact me but that someone never turn up. I then decided to try do-it-myself. Since I have put so much effort in, though USD750 is not much, I wanted to carry on trying to see how stupid or smart I am.

Rgds.

Lawrence.

To kevinlomas

Dear kevinlomas,

The Smashwords ISBN No.: 9781311731876 is correct. You just key it into the

Smashwords Search Box and the ebook Sex Fun will come out.

I used a generic find book by ISBN site.

http://www.isbnsearch.org/

If a book with an ISBN is actually in circulation such sites will usually find every place they are on sale. That's the idea of ISBNs.  Smiley Happy

I respect you as a well seasoned writer and I may have a lot to learn from you.

Gosh, thanks!

Smashwords now leave the TOC to be designed and tagged with whatever hyperlinks we want.

Well it was a long time since I used them, and then I discovered Lulu and it looked a far far better option, and is. It's strange that Smashwords allow that, because many of the places Lulu distribute to will only allow TOC hotlinks. I think Amazon Direct have the same guidelines, because it can be annoying to have hotlinks with an external target on devices that do not have direct web access.

Thanks for your advice. I did try as what you mentioned here but it failed. Maybe I did something wrong somewhere. As a beginner I asked Lulu to help with USD750 to format my script three times. Each time they promised to ask someone to contact me but that someone never turn up. I then decided to try do-it-myself. Since I have put so much effort in, though USD750 is not much,

It's a lot to get back from the sales of ePubs.

I wanted to carry on trying to see how stupid or smart I am.

But have you tried DIY here? If so then what exact problems are you having?

PS: I see that Smashwords (and the ISBN does work there) allow a 20% Preview. Or is that what you set? I just found my old thing on there and it's 10%. (Mine has been on there seven years with no sales notified! But it is set at You Set The Price. Do people bother paying for something they can get for nothing?)

• To kevinlomas

Dear kevinlomas,

Thank you. I used Window 7 to work with my script in formatting. I will use Window 8 next time following exactly what is shown in the Lulu video to see if I can get it right.

Rgds.

Lawrence

Windows is the operating system that other software runs in, it should make no difference if you use Vista, 7, 8 or 10. What you need is Word.