Cover thumbnail issues

Hello,

I designed my cover in Powerpoint, saved it as a pdf, and uploaded to Lulu.  It looks great.  But then when I saw the thumbnail of the cover on the product page, there are extraneous lines connecting some of the letters.  Appears to have something to do withe the "wordart" font I used in Powerpoint.  But this only appears in the thumbnail not on the actual cover!

Any ideas (other than ditching the wordart)?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• It may just be your Flash. Give us a link please.

A citizen of the world.

• OK, I see the lines.

Upload a jpeg 300 dpi and see if they disappear.

A citizen of the world.

• I changed my powerpoint settings to save it at 300dpi as a jpeg, but it still generates a fuzzy low-resolution image of the cover. The pdf save generates a nice sharp image, and the cover looks fine after it is up loaded. The only problem is with the thumbnail.
    I'm wondering of I can upload my own thumbnail image to use for the book's product page rather than the one automatically generated by Lulu.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The Preview uses Flash, and as already said, you could try updating Flash (many sites are stopping using Flash though, in favour of a new HTML.) Images in the Preview are lo-res and don't show what the cover will look like printed. The thumbnails are also created from that Flash image I shouldn't wonder. No you cannot upload your own.

I have not had a problem like that because, I assume, I use 300dpi jpgs created in a paint/photo application for my covers, uploaded in to the default Cover Wizard. I upload one whole one for the back and one whole one for the front, and poke at the spine tools so it matches the colour, and let the Wizard turn it in to a PR PDF.

• Thank you for yours suggestions, but I have reinstalled the latest version of Flash and the problem persists.
    Must be some artifact from Powerpoint. I will continue to play with the settings for saving as pdf. I may have to change the font.
  • PROBLEM SOLVED!

Afer trying many alternatives, I performed the following steps to address this issue:

1. Saved the powerpoint file as an enhanced windows metafile

2. Opened it in Irfanview and resized it to the correct pixel width and height

3. Saved it as a jpeg

4. Uploaded that jpeg to Lulu and voila... looks great!

INR - out

• I have Photoshop and it gives excellent results. Have a look at my covers, and you'll see what I mean.

• That's good to hear INR.

A citizen of the world.

• I have Photoshop on my computer too, but never have had time to learn it.  Familiar with Powerpoint from career in the business world.  There is always a solution!

• INR,

Learn Photoshop. It's incredible.

A citizen of the world.

• INR a écrit :

I have Photoshop on my computer too, but never have had time to learn it.  Familiar with Powerpoint from career in the business world.  There is always a solution!

From what you say, I don't see how you can be satisfied with PowerPoint when it comes to creating the front cover of a book.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

For all of my covers and other art I use PaintshopPro 5, from 1995. It does all that's required for covers, and art. Unless you wish to easily make a 90 year old filmstar 19 again.  Smiley Very Happy