For Glenn: Cover of calendar has inaccurate color rendition

Glenn,

With live chat gone and no support for true technical details about printing, I turn to you. I'm creating a calendar and the cover image color is terrible, while the same photo on the inside is totally fine. How can I guarantee the color of the cover, and just as importantly, how can I sell this if the cover image looks so bad? I've uploaded and saved it as both a JPG and a PNG file and get the same results. Is this just the PDF engine and I shoudl expect to see the correct color rendition upon print? Thoughts?

I'm posting images of both and a side-by-side. Hope that helps.

Comments

• I had the same problem with my cover. Some weird problem with the conversion software Lulu runs on jpegs/pngs/multilayered pdfs. I got my colors corrected by just merging all my layers together in GIMP(free Photoshop alternative) then exporting as a PDF. Easy enough fix, but took me a good hour to work out.

• Thanks, I'll save out of Photoshop as PDF and see if that works. Cheers.
  • Is PDF an acceptable file type, it's greyed out when I go to select it. And it's under 10MB.

• Well, to close that mystery, you can only use PDF for one-piece covers, which this is not. Bummer. Still don't have a solution, it's got to be changing the output format, but if I use the original JPG file and Lulu text on the cover (not my own text output as JPG) the image looks fine, but the design suffers. Boo.

Glenn, you got your ears on? Any thoughts? 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It would be best to use Support to contact Lulu help directly. They have a Print Manager person, and it will be he that Glenn will have to ask, anyway, and no doubt you will be asked to email those pics to Support.

It does appear to be a printing machine problem.

BTW. All images, regardless of what created on or what type, need to be Flattened/Merged. No layers in other words. I use 300dpi jpgs. Sometimes 600dpi.

• I didn't realize the process for doing calendars was different from the process for books.

Have you tried merging all your layers then exporting as a PNG? Make sure that you have removed all transparency as well. I've gotten this to work with my book covers, be it, not as reliably as just using a PDF.

At any rate, Lulu needs to update their image processing backends to properly handle multilayered photos, transparency, and gamma(all of which I've had problems with).

• Thanks Kevin, I'll email them, I didn't have a lot of faith I'd get a timely answer, I'm behind schedule getting these out and this is derailing the process a bit.

All files are flattened since they are JPGs, but tell me, how do you post a 600DPI 8.5x11 JPG and get it under 10MB?

They are compressed. But there's no 10mb limit in the normal book Projects Wizards. I would suspect that there is in the Studio Wizards, but in those size and shape matters. They have to match the frames.

At any rate, Lulu needs to update their image processing backends to properly handle multilayered photos, transparency, and gamma(all of which I've had problems with).

There's no need to when they should always be Merged, and the guide does say so. It's not that hard to to, in what I use it's just one click. POD uses laser printers, not plate seperations.

• kevinlomas wrote:

There's no need to when they should always be Merged, and the guide does say so. It's not that hard to to, in what I use it's just one click.

If Lulu takes multiple image formats, then they should provide proper support for those image formats or refuse to use those formats. Maybe even provide a bit better documentation for people, like me, who were just starting out. I've tried multiple formats including jpeg, png, and pdf and have had multiple problems with all three.

kevinlomas wrote:

POD uses laser printers, not plate seperations.

What I'm refering to is not actual multilayered printing. I'm refering to the software that runs on Lulu servers that actually merges multilayered images down to form one layer to be printed out.

• Hello Tenderoni_Tony

As Kevin suggested, the support team is your best bet for a technically accurate response. It could be a difference between RGB and CMYK color reproduction, but that is well outside of my area of expertise.

What I'm refering to is not actual multilayered printing. I'm refering to the software that runs on Lulu servers that actually merges multilayered images down to form one layer to be printed out.

In reality it does not. I would think that the images are embedded on to the pages, which is not really classed as multi-layered, then it converts to a Print Ready PDF. I would imagine your problem is something else. 1000s use the software with few problems.

Glenn may be right, but RGB and CYMK (which has always puzzled me. Should it not be CMYKB? Not to mention Photo-Black nowadays) is not some thing I actually see as an option. On my old art/photo software (20 years old!) I just get bit depth options and the greater the depth the greater the colour up to what it claims is 64,000, and I Save what I create as 300dpi jpgs (low-compression) which as far as I know are neither RGB or CYMK, they just 'are'. RGB is mostly display, as per monitors and TVs. CMYK is mainly for colour separation plates (even though laser and DJ printers don't do that) the latter which are not used in POD, and as I say, my bubblejet printer has CYMKB & PB cartridges. Time moves on Smiley Happy

• I agree, and also, why is the cover being processed as CMYK and there would be a color shift (particularly around the reds), but the interior is not? That's the biggest thing for me. And, even more complex, if I use Lulu's cover text engine (this is for a calendar) and a JPG the resulting PDF sample looks great, if I use my JPG with flattened text and the same image, it looks like crap. 

If I recall my last calendar correctly ( a Deluxe one) the covers are not printed on the same grade of stuff, so I assume it's a different printing machine to the innards. All you can really do is wait until Lulu's Print Manager looks in to it.