We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.
How to create a book cover using the old Lulu Cover Designer
The Old Cover Designer
This is our original cover designer. While it is a little out of date, it will still get the job done. We recommend using the New Cover Wizard for most projects (this will be the default when you reach the cover step) or the One-Piece Cover tool if you have a cover already designed or plan to design one.
The Old Cover Designer uses themes:
Selecting a Theme
- Click the 'Themes' tab, available themes will be displayed.
- Choose a theme by clicking on its thumbnail. A pop-up will appear confirming that you want to apply the theme. Click 'Accept' to apply the theme to your cover.
Changing your background color
- In the 'Backgrounds & Pictures' tab click on the square next to 'Color:' at the top of the tab. A color picker will pop up.
- Choose a color by selecting a hue (color) from the ring and a brightness from the square. Then click 'Accept'.
- To independently change the color of the front, back, and spine of your cover, uncheck 'Use a Single Color' on the left side of the color box.
- The box will then split into individual color boxes for the front, back and spine of your cover. Coil and saddle books do not have spines.
Changing your background pictures
Background images will cover up background color.
Upload an image
- Click the 'Edit Picture' icon corresponding to the part of the cover you want to change.
- Add an image from your computer by clicking the 'Upload A File' button.Note: Your image should be about 675 x 900 pixels.
- Click 'Browse' to select a file from your computer, then click 'Upload'.
- To use the image click 'Accept.
- To upload a different image click the 'Use A Different File' button.
Use a stock image
- Click 'Browse the Lulu Gallery' and the Lulu Image Gallery will appear. (By default you see covers that are an appropriate size and shape (tall, square, or wide) for your project.)
- Choose an image by clicking on the thumbnail. A larger thumbnail and details about the image will replace the gallery.
- To use the image click 'Accept.
- To select a different image click the 'Use A Different File' button.
- Click the 'text' tab to edit how the Title, Author name, and Description appear on the cover.
- Click the tab for the part of the cover (Front Cover, Back Cover and Spine (if Perfect Bound) you want to edit.
- Click in the box with the text you want to edit. Type. Click outside of that box and the cover will update.
- Select a font from the drop-down menu at the top of the tab and your cover automatically updates.
- Click on the color box next to the font drop-down. Choose a color by selecting a hue (color) on the wheel and a brightness on the square.
- Change the font and font color for each block of text on your cover by clicking the 'Use a Single Font & Text Color' checkbox.
- Select a font or font color from beneath each text area.
- When you've gotten your cover looking the way you want,click the 'Make Print-Ready Cover' button.
- Click the 'Save & Continue' button to finish and go to the next step.
We've found that the more customized a cover is the better the book sells. We recommend customizing your cover in a way that reflects your book and distinguishes it from other books.
- Images must be 300dpi (dots per inch) to print well. If the image you upload does not have a high enough resolution we'll let you know.
- Full Bleed/Trimming - Make sure that you provide enough Margin/Safety area so that something important doesn't get cut off because covers are trimmed after they are printed. We recommend .25 inches from the edges of the cover and spine.
- Files without embedded fonts or images - For Lulu to print the cover as you designed it you need to give us the fonts and images you want us to use. You can do that by embedding fonts in your document. See embedding fonts help for more details.
- Files with transparencies - Transparencies in PDFs cause washed out colors or white blocks. Flatten all layers before converting to a PDF or set compatibility mode to Acrobat 4 when converting to PDF.
- Barcode - Lulu adds the barcode to your cover if you use the Old Cover Designer.