We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Getting releases signed by people involved in a book

My name is Jeff Goddard and I am from Mooresville, NC.  I am writing a book titled "The Ones That Got Away".  www.theonesthatgotaway.com  This is my first book.

Thought I may be able to reach out to my fellow authors with a couple questions regarding "releases".  

My book is essentially a collection of stories about folks who had a car many years ago (and sold it) and they have located it and purchased it back today.   These stories are fascinating.  Some are found by sheer determination and others by blind luck.  Either way, it'll have many folks truly wondering what happened to their "One That Got Away".  

OK, so the reason I am reaching out to you all . . .

1.)  Do you require folks in your chapters to sign releases allowing you to publish their stories?  

2.)  What about the names they reference in the story (for example... I sold the Impala in 1977 to a guy named Chuck Green from Boston, MA)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I'd also love to see a template of a release if anyone has one they'd be willing to share.  

Thanks again for your assistance.

Jeff Goddard

Mooresville

The Ones That Got Away

2015_04_28_14_20_32.jpg

Comments

• jeffg1010 wrote:

My name is Jeff Goddard and I am from Mooresville, NC.  I am writing a book titled "The Ones That Got Away".  www.theonesthatgotaway.com  This is my first book.

Thought I may be able to reach out to my fellow authors with a couple questions regarding "releases".  

My book is essentially a collection of stories about folks who had a car many years ago (and sold it) and they have located it and purchased it back today.   These stories are fascinating.  Some are found by sheer determination and others by blind luck.  Either way, it'll have many folks truly wondering what happened to their "One That Got Away".  

OK, so the reason I am reaching out to you all . . .

1.)  Do you require folks in your chapters to sign releases allowing you to publish their stories?  

Yes, if these are stories they wrote then the stories belong to them. You will need to get releases or written permission to publish them. You will also need to make it clear as to who owns the copyrights. For instance, in many anthologies, the individual stories are copyrighted by each story's author while the compilation is copyrighted by the anthologist. 

2.)  What about the names they reference in the story (for example... I sold the Impala in 1977 to a guy named Chuck Green from Boston, MA)

No. (But any reference to a real person needs to be non-libelous. For instance, there is no problem at all with saying "Chuck Green bought an Impala," but there may be real problems with saying "Chuck Green, the homophobic alcoholic, bought an Impala in order to get to more elementary schools than ever in order to sell drugs to underage girls.")

• Any idea where I can get a template of these type of release forms?  I am googling it and it just seems to uncover commercial sites.  

•  

Frankly, I think you need to talk to an attorney who has either a specialty in intellectual property or at least some experience in it.

A release form is not necessarily the same as a transfer of copyright and you really, really need to make sure you are on firm legal footing whenever you use someone else's work. There is a fundamental difference between an agreement that allows you the right to use another's work and an agreement that transfers their copyright to you. Here are a few guidelines...

http://web.law.columbia.edu/keep-your-copyrights/contracts/samples/8

http://infidels.org/infidels/copyright-release.html

http://www.tales2inspire.com/RELEASE_FORM.html

• Is it not a bit later to wonder about that? You have already posted in Shameless with a Link to here >>  http://www.theonesthatgotaway.com/

But with a site like that, plus then publishing what people have related to you/it, all you need to do is have the disclaimer on your site that everything published on it, and then in book form, becomes the property of the site. You have the opportunity to pre-warn people and then it's up to them to send you stuff if they want to.

It's often very common practice that started off within printed magazines.