We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

HARDBACK Casewrap

Help someone, was trying to do a Hardback book first time.  It skipped over getting an ISBN number, why?  I aiso noticed it said it would NOT BE AVAILBLE ON Amazon. How does this effect Distribution?  I'm so confused.  I thought  this would be easy like doing my Paperbacks except it would be a hardback

Comments

• Only what you see marked in Create with a tick on a green spot can have an ISBN, and of course anything that cannot does not get Distribution.

• If I don't get Distribution, does that mean the book will NOT BE AVABILE IN CERTAIN AREAS, I thought an ISBN number protected you with copyright 

• ISBN has nothing to do with copyright protection. Place a copyright notice in your book and, if you like, get an official copyright certificate for your country.

A citizen of the world.

• Incidentally, 6x9 Casewrap books do have distribution.

A citizen of the world.

• Can some one explain to me why PUBLISHIng A Hardback is different than A PAPERBACK

I'm not assigned an ISBN with a Hardback

No Global Rearch, does that mean distribution is limited?

Can someone PLEASE walk me through publshing my FIRST HARDBACK?  I really need to learn this and i'm completely lost.  Please someone help me.

• Sonnetwolf

Take a deep breath! Start a new project and select Professional Hardcover and then select 6 x9 Casewrap Hardcover, as that is the only casewrap which can go into distribution. As you have published a book which is only available on Lulu there is no need to delete it, if you don't want to, but you will need to start a new project if you want global distribution.

On the next screen you will enter your book's name and your author name. On the next screen you will be offered a free Lulu ISBN. Accept it and then copy and paste the ISBN number into your manuscript.

ISBN is not to be confused with copyright. An ISBN simply gives book sellers and distributors information about a particular title. So, for example a paperback copy of My First Book will have a different ISBN from the hardcover version of the same book which is different still from the ebook version. The number conveys information such as 'this is a hardcover version of My First Book, published in English by XYZ, etc'.

Upload your manuscript, buy a proof copy of your book and then click on My Projects and Manage, once you have reviewed the proof, and approve your book for global distribution. It will take a few weeks to reach the various distributions channels.

• danielblue

When I selected Professional Hardcover and then select 6 x9 Casewrap Hardcover it SKIPS the screen (doesn't even go there) to give me an ISBN number, that's the part i'm confused about, which means, it won't be available anywhere except ON LULU to buy for my customers.

And what makes the book Copyrighted?  What an Idiot I am, I thought the ISBN number had something to do with copyright, not just distribution.

But when I chose Professional Hardcover, 6x9, Casewrap, during the process it doesn't even go to that page to get an ISBN number

• danielblue

I see; so on my CASEWRAP 6x9 HARDCOVER, no ISBN, THAT will only be avaible on Lulu.

I can go ahead and start a new PROJECT with the SAME BOOK, but chose PAPERBACK, and that of course will give me the ISBN NUMBER to be available.

Can you BUY an ISBN number for the HARDBACK?  And how do I find out how to buy it and what it costs and do I put it in the book and on back cover if the HARDBACK is already PUBLISHED?

• I see; so on my CASEWRAP 6x9 HARDCOVER, no ISBN, THAT will only be avaible on Lulu.

If it will not allow you to have a free Lulu ISBN then yes.

I can go ahead and start a new PROJECT with the SAME BOOK, but chose PAPERBACK, and that of course will give me the ISBN NUMBER to be available.

As I said previously (read all the replies since you last visited, not only the latest one) in Create  http://www.lulu.com/create/books   any option marked with a tick on a green spot can have an ISBN, and therefore Distribution. Only one size of hardback can and three sizes of paperback. Note that lower down that page there are other options, such as coilbound, which changes the options to not have ISBNs.

Can you BUY an ISBN number for the HARDBACK?

As far as I am aware you can only use your own ISBNs at Lulu for books that are also allowed free Lulu ISBNs, so it would make no difference, you would simply have to distribute them yourself.

And how do I find out how to buy it and what it costs and do I put it in the book and on back cover if the HARDBACK is already PUBLISHED?

It would really save you a lot of bother if you just use what Lulu offers in Create. Is it crucial it has to be a certain size of hardback? POD is a lot of compromises, especially to get free ISBNs and distribution.

• Start a new project; don't try to revise the old one. Select Professional Hardcover. On the screen that comes up you will see that the default position is 6 x 9 Dust Jacket. Change this to 6 x 9 Casewrap by clicking on the icon to the right.

case1.jpg

On the next screen enter the original title that printed in a non-distributable format.

Make sure that 'Sell on Lulu, Amazon, etc' is chosen and move onto next screen.

save2.jpg

Make sure that 'Get a Free ISBN' is chosen and move onto next screen where you can highlight the ISBN and then copy and paste it into your manuscript before uploading it.

case3.jpg

• Thank you Everyone.

So I'm discovering that to do  A CASEWRAP Hardcover, 6x9, WE don't get an ISBN, which means book will ONLY BE AVAILABLE on Lulu.

So everyone helped me by letting me know I can create a Paperback version of SAME book, and have an assigned ISBN to take care of my book also being available outside of JUST lulu.

It's just a shame that Hardbacks have to be treated differrently than Paperbacks, that's that I don't understand is why CASEWRAP HARDBACKS aren't assigned an ISBN and GLOBAL REACH is not available.

But I will publish two version of the same book today.  Thank you everyone for your help.

• Daniel

IT DOES not give you the option to get an ISBN number when you choose CASEWRAP 6x9 HARDCOVER

yOU'RE screen shot shows that but on my end IT'S NOT AVAILABLE when I choose CASEWRAP 6x9 PREMIUM HARDCOVER, it says it's only available on Lulu

• Professional Hardcover i mean

• Take a deeper breath.

Only the US Trade (6x9) hardcovers (the ones with the green check marks) qualify for distribution.

I looked at your account.

You must enter the book title on the Title step.

Choose the Recommended distribution option.

Click Save and Continue.

Then you will see the ISBN step.

It's there. I promise.

• Ok, I just discovered:

YOU CAN print a HARDBACK CASEWRAP, 6X9, with an ISBN number BUT IT can't have colored Interior

You can't have both colored IMAGES with  HARDBACK ~ it does not give you option FOR ISBN NUMBR which means it won't be available WITH other retailers like amazon, etc.

But you can have the CASEWRAP 6X9 HARDBACK with B&W Images Interior and have an ISBN number

• And, now we know the rest of the story.

Good luck.

I suggest you set the color image to grayscale if you are planning to include them in your B&W hardcover.

Let us know if you have any other difficulties.

• THANK YOU EVERYONE, you have been wonderful!!!!Smiley Happy

• It's just a shame that Hardbacks have to be treated differrently than Paperbacks, that's that I don't understand is why CASEWRAP HARDBACKS aren't assigned an ISBN and GLOBAL REACH is not available.

They are, it is, as Dan just showed you.

• If it was possible you would discover that a hardback with coloured pages would be very expensive.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

A 6x9 hardbound book without a jacket can have a Lulu ISBN, and be distributed worldwide. I have published several such books.