We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Is it possible to make a book in the Lulu creator wizard more than 740 pages?

Quick question, can it be possible that you can make a book more than 740 pages in the content wizard or is that the justified limit? Someday I probably would reach past that mark, and I'm wondering if 800 or 1000 page book would be possible go create?

Comments

• Short answer: no.

A 1000 page book would have a hefty asking price. To make a 740 page 6 x 9 book

for distribution would cost $ 16.05. You would have to charge at least $ 32.10 before

you even made a cent in royalties.

Sometimes, less really is more. If your manuscript really is longer than 740 pages

strip out the waffle and delete the redundant sentences, descriptions, etc. I can't

remember when last I read a book of that length.

• If you really have 740 pages of story to tell, that's two books of 370. 800 pages make 3 respectable books of 267(ish) pages. You have to have some natural breaks points where you could break the story up. You will have some rewrites to do to splice the volumes together so that someone picking up volume 2 after a break gets some gentle reminders of what went on before. That is exactly what I did with books 2 and three of The Travis Fletcher Chronicles and I think I ended up with two books I can be proud of rather than one massive rambling tome.

You have 2 different points of view here. Hope they help.

• Thanks for the answer, just was curious.

ChrisDevine wrote:

If you really have 740 pages of story to tell, that's two books of 370. 800 pages make 3 respectable books of 267(ish) pages. You have to have some natural breaks points where you could break the story up. You will have some rewrites to do to splice the volumes together so that someone picking up volume 2 after a break gets some gentle reminders of what went on before. That is exactly what I did with books 2 and three of The Travis Fletcher Chronicles and I think I ended up with two books I can be proud of rather than one massive rambling tome.

You have 2 different points of view here. Hope they help.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

Make two volumes, each with its own ISBN.

• There's many books over 800 pages, but then again they have been mass-published and therefore not very expensive, and if well written one reads them.

When I first came to Lulu I had something of around 800 pages, and it was the price of it that shocked me, so it became two books as Part 1 and Part 2, Part 1 being slightly tinkered with at the end.

But take a good look at your original file. What size is it? I turned to creating Pocketbooks, but then A5 because with the same font size the page count is lower (and A5 seems to be cheaper anyway.) Check your font size. 11 to 12 pnt is 'normal'. Check your margins (usually only a Proof will show you if they are too small.) Do you have large gaps between paragraphs?

There's many ways to reduce page count without upsetting readability.

But don't forget you also need the addition of a Title Page, and a Copyright Page, blanks at both ends, and be divisible by four.

• I was just asking out of curiosity. But my newest novel is going to be an estimated 550 pages (paperback). Thanks for the information, and I will keep it in mind for future reference.

• You really should extend the page limit, however.

Many books, like Martin's A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords and Harry Potter (Years 5-7) exceed 800 pages. Heck, Tolstoy's War and Peace is well beyond 1000 pages. While yes, it is imperative to divide your story into volumes if it's a fairly long story, but some stories were written for such longevity, perhaps because multiple volumes wouldn't do the story justice. It should be the sky's the limit; if Martin could write 1000-page tomes, Lulu should allow exceptions if the author feels that it's appropriate to fit the story in one book.

• Gosh, this is an old thread.

You really should extend the page limit, however.

There are limits to what can be done using POD. It is the machines that set the limits.

Many books, like Martin's A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords and Harry Potter (Years 5-7) exceed 800 pages. Heck, Tolstoy's War and Peace is well beyond 1000 pages.

Quite so, but none were printed using expensive POD. As an example, a 740 page 6x5 paperback via POD would cost $16.05 just to make. Compare that with the retail price of the books you mention as paperbacks.  A Clash of Kings is listed on Amazon at  for £6.49 (and is 'only' 752 pages).

While yes, it is imperative to divide your story into volumes if it's a fairly long story, but some stories were written for such longevity, perhaps because multiple volumes wouldn't do the story justice.

But A Song of Ice and Fire is one story in 7 volumes. How many volumes does Harry Potter go though? And Discworld goes through dozens of volumes.

It should be the sky's the limit; if Martin could write 1000-page tomes, Lulu should allow exceptions if the author feels that it's appropriate to fit the story in one book.

Lulu does not print the books so they cannot make exceptions. I would assume the same applies to anywhere that POD books can be published.  Perhaps the answer is e-books ...

PS: If you pick Hardbacked they go up to 800 pages.

• Yes, I completely understand what you're saying about POD (print-on-demand) and its limits. I guess I didn't understand why there was such a limit, because some books are published beyond that. A Song of Ice and FIre and Harry Potter are divided into volumes, but some books, like A Storm of Swords, A Dance With Dragons, Order of the Phoenix, and Deathly Hallows are a thousand pages long. It doesn't seem fair to those who want to self-publish. But then again, I suppose that most books are under 700 pages.

• The answer is to not use POD and have a few thousand printed instead   Smiley Happy

Actually, page count often also depends on font, margin and actual book sizes. Even the books you have mentioned come in many different sizes of all three of those defaults, and they do not all have the same page count. I could give you examples using my own books, but I am sure you get the point.