Newbie needing helping regarding ISBN & Copyright licensing.

Hey there

I am new to lulu.com and am currently working on a short poetry book that I plan to upload soon. I am in New Zealand and I have a couple of questions regarding the ISBN and copyright. Is it better for me to claim a lulu.com ISBN or should I go through the National Library of New Zealand and request an ISBN or does it make no difference? (I am unsure if it will affect distribution etc or not).

Also regarding copyright, in NZ there is system for copyright registration. Any original work is protected the minute it is put into material form.  I was wondering since lulu.com is a US based website, would that mean I would still need to apply for US copyright licensing even though I am in New Zealand and there is no licensing required here?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Your New Zealand copyright would be recognized in the US.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

• If you accept the free Lulu ISBN, it will be automatically printed on the back cover. If you use another ISBN, you'll have to include it with its barcode in the backcover picture.

In either case, you'll have to add the ISBN yourself to your copyright page before you convert your file to PDF, and upload the PDF to Lulu for printing.

• I think the one-piece Advanced Cover Wizard does not add it. It has to be part of the artwork created before uploading.

When one clicks General at the start it gives the option to download the barcode to add to artwork, but something like this can also be used >>

http://www.creativindiecovers.com/free-online-isbn-barcode-generator/

• I used the cover creating program to which Lulu automatically took me. As everybody can see, Lulu printed the iSBN and its barcode on my back cover. I didn't have to put it there myself.

Y&N-Lulu-cover-2015-12-07.jpg

• I often wonder who is giving you kudos.

Read this again >>  "I think the one-piece Advanced Cover Wizard does not add it. It has to be part of the artwork created before uploading."

There's more than one Cover Wizard. The basic one is the default one and that does add it.

• KatdeL wrote:

Hey there

I am new to lulu.com and am currently working on a short poetry book that I plan to upload soon. I am in New Zealand and I have a couple of questions regarding the ISBN and copyright. Is it better for me to claim a lulu.com ISBN or should I go through the National Library of New Zealand and request an ISBN or does it make no difference? (I am unsure if it will affect distribution etc or not).

Also regarding copyright, in NZ there is system for copyright registration. Any original work is protected the minute it is put into material form.  I was wondering since lulu.com is a US based website, would that mean I would still need to apply for US copyright licensing even though I am in New Zealand and there is no licensing required here?

KatdeL wrote:

Hey there

• mwemil1981 a écrit :

KatdeL wrote:

Hey there

Accept the free Lulu ISBN. An ISBN is global, so why bother with its origin?

I suppose NZ has a legal deposit. You'll have to deposit a minimum of one copy. This should be quite enough as a guarantee against plagiarism and copyrights infringements.

• I am new to lulu.com and am currently working on a short poetry book that I plan to upload soon. I am in New Zealand and I have a couple of questions regarding the ISBN and copyright. Is it better for me to claim a lulu.com ISBN or should I go through the National Library of New Zealand and request an ISBN or does it make no difference? (I am unsure if it will affect distribution etc or not).

I second that. Go for the free Lulu one. But when you say short, you need to check here >>  http://www.lulu.com/create/books  which books can have a Lulu ISBN and Dist, and also check the minimum page count possible. You can add to that with a title page, copyright page, and the page count needs to be divisible by four. Often it's also insisted that you have two blank pages at each end.

Also regarding copyright, in NZ there is system for copyright registration. Any original work is protected the minute it is put into material form.  

That is actually a worldwide agreed upon law and it does not have to be registered.

I was wondering since lulu.com is a US based website, would that mean I would still need to apply for US copyright licensing

There's not really any such thing as a licence, but there are places one can register a copyright, just make sure it's an official place. It can be a good idea to register a copyright in the USA, though, because you will not be able to fight infringement in court if you have to unless you do, unless you want to try a civil case.

even though I am in New Zealand and there is no licensing required here?

There's no licensing anywhere really, but most places have some place you can register a copyright.

http://www.copyright.org.nz/index.php