How to get your eBook on the iBookstore (Authors)
- All eBooks must meet Lulu's eBook Retail Distribution Requirements
What to do:
- Start a new eBook project: https://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/ (Revising a project will not work)
- Follow this 'How to': How to Publish an eBook
How prices are set:
Pricing must comply with Apple's guidelines. In the pricing step of the eBook Publishing Wizard, you can set any price for your eBook. Lulu will sell it at that price in the Lulu Marketplace. The iBookstore however, uses tiered pricing to standardize book prices. Lulu will automatically round your price to the nearest valid Apple pricing Tier in each currency. Apple’s pricing tiers vary by country. On the USA iBookstore the price must end in $.99, and cannot exceed $99.99 if you choose to sell.
How much do I make per sale?
The Apple iBookstore operates under an Agency model, which means it retains 30% of revenue from retail sales in the iBookstore. The author receives 90% of the remaining revenue and Lulu receives 10%.
- Example: A $9.99 book sold in the Apple iBookstore results in $6.29 of author revenue.
$9.99 - $3 (to Apple) = $6.99 - $.70 (to Lulu) = $6.29 (to author)
Author revenues for ebooks sold in the EU iBookstore are calculated on the amount remaining after VAT and the iBookstore commission is paid. Beginning January 20, 2015 VAT rates for eBooks will be based on the buyer’s country of residence. eBook VAT Rates by Country
- Example: A €9.99 eBook purchased by a reader in France
€9.99 - 5.5% VAT = €9.44 - €2.83 (to Apple) = €6.61 - €0.66 (to Lulu) = €5.95 (to Author)
When do I get paid from Apple sales?
Revenue from sales on the iBookstore will show up on your My Lulu > My Revenue page, just like printed book sales. They will follow the same rules as other projects. See: When are Creator Revenues Paid?
How long until my eBook shows up on the iBookstore?
eBook distribution to the iBookstore is a multi-step process that requires a review from Lulu and Apple. Due to the high demand and popularity of eBooks and an increase in volume we are currently unable to provide exact timing on when your ebook will become available in the iBookstore.
Will my eBook be available for purchase on the international iBookstores?
Once your eBook is approved by Apple's Quality Assurance team, it will be available for download from all iBookstores. Click here for a current list of iBookstores and supported products listed by country.
How do I remove my eBook from the iBookstore?
- Go to your Project List
- Click the Manage distribution button next to the title of the eBook you want to remove.
- Deselect the iBookstore to remove your eBook from this distribution channel.
Your request to remove your eBook from the iBookstore will be passed along to Apple, who will execute the request when they next update their online catalog.
Will I retain all copyrights?
Yes. You retain all copyrights and intellectual property rights to your books.