Cover PDF Color Troubles

I ordered 3 proofs to 3 team members in different states. The book covers are different in appearance, from the same uploaded print PDF. A tint background disappeared completely from one, but not others. Are printers "adjusting" outputs according to what they might think? Such as a trade-off between holding a light tint versus something else going too dark? 

What is the best way to create a PDF which will be handled the same by all printers?

Also, do I convert RGB to CMYK, or not? The cover is a full bleed Photoshop image, placed in an InDesign file under the back cover text type and barcode. What PDF preset to use out of InDesign?   Please help me out. Thanks.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I ordered 3 proofs to 3 team members in different states. The book covers are different in appearance, from the same uploaded print PDF. A tint background disappeared completely from one, but not others. Are printers "adjusting" outputs according to what they might think? Such as a trade-off between holding a light tint versus something else going too dark?

The books are printed as close as possible to the delivery address, so they could have been printed by different companies. There should be no difference but there often is. 

What is the best way to create a PDF which will be handled the same by all printers?

The Lulu Cover Wizard creates a Print Ready PDF even if you upload a PDF to it. You have little control over how different printers will use it, the best thing to do is to tell Lulu about the variance between printers via Support.

Also, do I convert RGB to CMYK, or not? The cover is a full bleed Photoshop image, placed in an InDesign file under the back cover text type and barcode. What PDF preset to use out of InDesign?   Please help me out. Thanks.

Not something I can help with because I upload two 24 bit 300 DPI '64,000' colour jpgs according to the settings in Paintshop Pro 5. My opinion is that RGB and CMYK is not required as an option because the printers do not make plates, and if they did one would be black.  Smiley Happy

• Thanks for answering, Kevin.

Is there anyone (with Lulu) that can take my specific file attributes described above and tell me what PDF export is the best? There is a list of options in InDesign for making PDFs.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

When I do use PDFs on Lulu I use ISO 19005-1 Compliant (PDF/A). That seems to work.

But as I said, Lulu has no control over the settings the many printing companies set their machines at, apart from moaning at them if a print is drastically flawed.

If you wish to contact Lulu staff directly, use Support.