How Long Is "First Printing" Appropriate?

Hi All,

I'm just about ready to make my book available to the general public.  The copyright page states "First Printing:  2015".  Do I need to revise the copyright page by January 1, 2016 and delete that line or change it to "Second Printing:  2016" or something like that?  How long is it appropriate to allow a buyer to purchase a copy with "First Printing:  2015" on the copyright page or does it even matter with POD books?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Steve

Comments

• In POD it's a moot point.

In olden times, when the publisher ran the first printing, they might make 5000 or 6000 copies, to see how they sold. If the book was wildly successful, the second printing might be 20,000 or 30,000, and then when those were sold down, they'd run a third printing, and so forth. The idea was for the publisher to have as few unsold copies lying around as was possible.

Myself, I don't put the printing date, but merely "First Edition," and if I feel like it "First Printing."

I increment "printing" when there is a small change -- correction of typos, repagination, etc. -- and I increment "Edition" when I move chapters around, make a new cover / typeface / etc., or add / remove material from the manuscript.

I only apply a date to the copyright date.

• "© 2015 So-and-so ... First Edition" will be valid and shouldn't be changed until you make a second edition, hence  different from the first one, for which you'll need a new ISBN.  Smiley Happy

• skoob_ym is correct: "First printing" really has no meaning in POD publishjing.

In traditional publishing, this refered to the first quantity of books run off the presses. If these sold out and more books were printed, that would become the second printing. Whether or not a book is a first, second or later printing is independent of time. Days might pass between printings of a popular book...years might pass between printings of one that does not sell well.

Since POD books are printed individually on demand, this system does not apply.

On the other hand, "editions" are another matter. A new edition of a book refers to one that has undergone some substantial alteration or revision. Each edition may in turn have any number of printings. Again, editions are independent of time.

Regards,

Steve