Useless templates.

I'm attempting to put together an A5 book.
I'm using the M$ Word template that Lulu provides.
Everything was in place on the doc. I upload it and I get a message telling me that "We adjusted your file to fit the 14.817cm x 20.99cm book format you selected.", which has shifted everything in the doc out of position.
What's the point of those templates if they don't actually work?!

Comments

• You should submit a support case.

That does not sound like typical behavior.

• That is strange, and I don't think the Wizard will adjust sizing unless it's relatively close in the first place, and what size is that close to A5?

• On the Lulu website, it specifies that A5 is 14.81 x 20.99 cm. The template provided, when I check the scale through page setup, is 14.8 x 21 cm.
    I've tried adjusting it. No dice. It still screws up during conversion. That 0.01cm difference seems to be enough to ruin everything.

Oh, and on top of everything else, some images that had been aligned to center are now shunted off to one side. Note: some, not all. It seems completely random. Again, looks fine on the template provided, but as soon as you run it through the converter, it's ruined.

• Are you taking into account the gutter?

On each page they add a little extra space on one side to account for the part of the page that is lost to the binding. It will be on the right on one page and on the left on the next and then on the right again etc.

It may be that his is why your images are no longer exactly centred.

• I have not changed any of the settings the template came with. All I have done is copy text and images across to it.

• On the Lulu website, it specifies that A5 is 14.81 x 20.99 cm. The template provided, when I check the scale through page setup, is 14.8 x 21 cm.
    I've tried adjusting it. No dice. It still screws up during conversion. That 0.01cm difference seems to be enough to ruin everything.

If a template is not exactly how you wish it to be then adjust the defaults. I have my A5s set at A5 as per Word's options. I never even bother to look at the measurements.

Oh, and on top of everything else, some images that had been aligned to center are now shunted off to one side. Note: some, not all. It seems completely random. Again, looks fine on the template provided, but as soon as you run it through the converter, it's ruined.

Convert it to PDF.

• Are you taking into account the gutter?

A bit of Padding all around is added to allow for trimming, apparently, but it's nothing to do with the Gutter apart from the size of gutter you decide to add.

On each page they add a little extra space on one side to account for the part of the page that is lost to the binding.

No 'they' don't. If you want a Gutter then you add it to the settings when you are adjusting the margins.

It may be that his is why your images are no longer exactly centred.

There's many many settings to do with image placement, and some have to be turned off.

The problem with using a template is that you still need to know all about the default settings so that you can adjust them if required. There's many hidden settings that can upset the Conversion Wizard. By the time you have worked that out you may as well have created your own template.

• I'm getting the same message when I convert my Crown Quarto document based on the Lulu template into print ready pdf. I'm not too concerned about the pagination changing slightly, but there are occasions when tables which are set up correctly get split across pages in the pdf version.

I have a second query. Despite ensuring that all my pictures are 300dpi I keep getting a message telling me to do so. Why is this?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I'm getting the same message when I convert my Crown Quatro document 

Why Crown Quatro? That's not a Lulu size is it? You are supposed to create a document to the exact shape and size as the book options in Create, or problems do often happen.

based on the Lulu template into print ready pdf. I'm not too concerned about the pagination changing slightly, but there are occasions when tables which are set up correctly get split across pages in the pdf version.

That's because you have not uploaded the shape and size required, and with such content it's also perhaps best uploaded as a PDF.

I have a second query. Despite ensuring that all my pictures are 300dpi I keep getting a message telling me to do so. Why is this?

It's only a recommendation so as not to end up with pixelated or fuzzy images. Possibly the WP you have used is reducing them.