New to Lulu. Need help!!

Hi there, I am completely new to Lulu and have a couple of questions.

I want to self publish a book using the online design tools for the interior and the cover. My questions are mainly related to the costs. 

1) what are the initial costs for publishing the book on Lulu? Do I have to pay for each copy of the book? Or, does Lulu recover the costs through commission when a copy of the book is sold? 

2) related to the above question, do Lulu only manufacture the book when a copy is sold e.g. print on demand? Or do I have to let Lulu know how many copies to manufacture?

3) is it possible to buy copies of my own book at a discount rate, as opposed to the retail price? I understand there are discounts for bulk buying, do these discounts apply to the manufacturing costs or the retail price? 

I would be really grateful if somebody could answer these questions please.

Many thanks, Hamish

Comments

• 1) If you are doing it yourself - there is no charge for publishing, ISBNs, or distribution. If you want to sell your book on retail sites other than Lulu.com, you must purchase and approve a proof copy of your book.

2) Lulu is a print on demand site. There is no inventory. Books are printed when an order is placed.

3) Authors, when logged into their account, can purchase their books at the manufacturing cost (plus tax and shipping). They can also apply coupons and discounts (listed on the Lulu home page) for additional savings.

• Relax. The proof copy of an average soft-bound 6x9" B&W book costs between $10 and $20 VAT and shipping included, and the printing is quite professional. Believe me, you'll be amazed when you receive it. Smiley Happy

• Hi there, I am completely new to Lulu and have a couple of questions.

I want to self publish a book using the online design tools for the interior and the cover.

There is no online design tool for the interior. You have to have a pre-created file of pages laid out in the manner of a book and to the correct dimensions of one of the book size options in Create to upload to a Project Wizard.

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

The Project Wizards do include a Cover Designer too though. (In fact three.)

My questions are mainly related to the costs. 

1) what are the initial costs for publishing the book on Lulu?

The Cost of a Proof. And it's always wise to buy a Proof to carefully examine for typos etc., before you let the book out to the world.

Do I have to pay for each copy of the book?

If you buy them, yes. Just the same as any other customer. But you buy at Cost when logged in to your account.

Or, does Lulu recover the costs through commission when a copy of the book is sold? 

Yes. But not exactly commission, but profit. In other words the POD book/s are paid for by who buys them from wherever, and then you and Lulu get your share, and you can set what profit is added to the Cost (but not what Amazon etc sell for!)

2) related to the above question, do Lulu only manufacture the book when a copy is sold e.g. print on demand?

Yes and no. The books are POD, but not made by Lulu, who attempt to have the books PODed as close as possible to the order address. Or in the case of sales on Amazon by Createspace.

Or do I have to let Lulu know how many copies to manufacture?

The site is automatic. If you (or anyone) wishes to buy 500 or 1 you (or they)  just tell the Checkout.

3) is it possible to buy copies of my own book at a discount rate, as opposed to the retail price?

Yes, at actual Cost, when logged in to your own account.

I understand there are discounts for bulk buying, do these discounts apply to the manufacturing costs or the retail price?

Both, in the same manner as above, but it's not great and anyone who wants a very large order would perhaps be better not using POD. (The auto system quotes up to 1200.)