Is it ok to use a Pin name as the author of my book and in the book?

Hello all,

My manuscript is my memoirs. I have not yet uploaded.  I have changed all names in the book including my own to protect the privacy of each person.  I wanted to know if this is OK to do in a memoir?  Also on my dedication page I wanted to thank my two daughters but if I use their real names that would defeat the purpose of changing the names in the book. Has anyone encounter this scenario. 

My thoughts are to just state that I want to thank them and leave out any names as they know who they are and they understand the Pin name approach that I am using, however the dedication page is very important. Help please!

Can I copyright under a Pin name and just have my real name in the LuLu system so that I can get my royalties?

Thanks,

AEW55 

Comments

• Most of us here have books out under a pen name. So yes you can use a different name on each book if you wish. Only your payment info needs to be in your real name. As far as the people in the book I'd make sure just in case you have their permission to write about them. It's probably ok but I'm sure someone here will add to this.

• Hello all,

My manuscript is my memoirs. I have not yet uploaded.  I have changed all names in the book including my own to protect the privacy of each person.  I wanted to know if this is OK to do in a memoir?

Of course. Many books are. They are called Biographies or Auto-Biographies. Or even Based on Real Events.

Also on my dedication page I wanted to thank my two daughters but if I use their real names that would defeat the purpose of changing the names in the book. Has anyone encounter this scenario. 

I am sure they have, just put > I would like to thank all concerned ... < and for what, without naming them.

My thoughts are to just state that I want to thank them and leave out any names as they know who they are and they understand the Pin name approach that I am using, however the dedication page is very important. Help please!

BTW. You do know that PIN means Personal Identification Number. What you mean is a Pen name.  Smiley Happy

Can I copyright under a Pin name and just have my real name in the LuLu system so that I can get my royalties?

I have often wondered about the former, but as long as you can prove that the Pen Name is you, then it will be OK. Lulu will pay to Paypal or by Cheque to whoever you tell the system to.

I wonder why you need to use a Pen name? You still take the risk of people knowing they are in your book, name changed or not, and if that's going to be a problem then think carefully ...

• Thanks very much for your help.  I really appreciate your feedback.  Oops on using the incorrect Pen spelling. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• AEW55 wrote:

Thanks very much for your help.  I really appreciate your feedback.  Oops on using the incorrect Pen spelling. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

But a pin name would help people to get your point. They'd say you were really sharp.

• In my experience, one should avoid pun-names, like Punelope or Rapunzel.
  • I replaced all real names by pseudos in Concombre en Absurdistan and Concombre aux Philippines, that  are novelized versions of some specific periods of my life. I also created a fictitious character as a prop for sundry anecdotes I didn't know where to place. The funny thing is that a former college mate didn't recognize himself under his disguise while he did in the fictitious character. Smiley LOL

• Jolly good!