Publishing within a Private Group of subscribers?

Hi.  

We are a Group of aporox 2500 Rotarians in South East UK.  Until 3 years ago we annually printed a Directory of members details.  This was a private publication for members only.  in 2012/13 this went online only with members needing a user id and password to gain access to the Directory details.  

However, a number of members perhaps between 25-50% or members have been pleading for a printed directory again.  Lulu makes total sense for providing an on demand printiong option.  However, I want to allow members ONLY to order and pay for a printed copy.  Is there a way of restricting the purchase of such a publication from LULU, by use perhaps of a OFFER Code which either allows of deny's a purchase?  So that I could let a member upon request have (or preferably generate a unique) an offer code?  Is this possible?

Thanks

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Yes, you can do this.

After entering the title of the publication in the print book creation wizard deselect 'sell on Lulu, Amazon, etc' and select 'Make Available Only To Me'. Once your book is published, email the URL link to the members who wish to purchase it. Casual browsers on Lulu will not be able to see the book.

• Thank you

• One caveat:

Anyone who gets hold of that link can order that book. If the point is to keep member details private outside the group, you must be very clear with your members that they must not forward the link around, and in fact, that they must keep it quiet.

You might even consider assigning a trusted "Scribe" whose duty is to receive orders from the members and then place orders on Lulu, shipping directly to their homes.

Just a thought...

• It needs to be set to Direct Access. That's the one to use if one only wants people you give the URL to to be able to access it.

If the people are all local-ish, you could set it to Private and you buy a batch to hand out or sell to those who want it.

• Kevin,

The Direct Access button disappeared some time ago. The choices now are:

1.  Sell On Lulu
    2. Sell on Lulu, Amazon, Nook etc
    3. Make Available Only To Me

Skoob

You have a very valid point. However, I have often wondered what would stop Google providing a link to a private book.

Due to data privacy concerns it would probably be best for the organizer to receive all the copies and ship them to the members and hope that one of them doesn't leave his copy on a bus, or junk it out in a garage sale.

The way things are going at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if every last detail about an individual, down to their shoe size, appeared on the internet someday. You can just imagine some malicious person hacking into all the driverless cars of the future and causing a massive gridlock thus preventing the captains of industry getting to their desks.

• Kevin,

The Direct Access button disappeared some time ago. The choices now are:

1.  Sell On Lulu
    2. Sell on Lulu, Amazon, Nook etc
    3. Make Available Only To Me

But when I replied I had just looked via Revise. What you quote are almost the descriptions of the three options. Direct is just what I said it is and is what the OP requires.

Lulu access.jpg

• Kevin,

You are talking about revise whereas I am talking about the initial creation of

a book which is what the OP would experience were he to go ahead and publish

with Lulu.

• (Sigh) Yes Daniel, and it says on the bottom option there "You can change this later if you decide to sell" and that's done by Revise once a Wizard is almost completed. It's baffling why the same options do not have the same buttons lables. But it is the Direct option the OP wants, regardless.

• Skoob

You have a very valid point. However, I have often wondered what would stop Google providing a link to a private book.

Masked.

Due to data privacy concerns it would probably be best for the organizer to receive all the copies and ship them to the members and hope that one of them doesn't leave his copy on a bus, or junk it out in a garage sale.

What you mean like such a possibility has existed since writing was invented?

The way things are going at the moment it wouldn't surprise me if every last detail about an individual, down to their shoe size, appeared on the internet someday. You can just imagine some malicious person hacking into all the driverless cars of the future and causing a massive gridlock thus preventing the captains of industry getting to their desks.

Gosh. If we worried about things like that we may as well not exist. PS. Nothing can be hacked if it's isolated and things with no wifi or other connection are.

• The options you see in the the publishing wizard are for distribution. If you choose to make a private project or you plan to only sell the project in the Lulu bookstore, the wizard skips the ISBN assignment step and goes directly to the file upload step.

You can also set a project to Direct Access on the last step of the publishing wizard.