Trying to make an ebook version of my comic

First off, I'm basically brand new to this site. I've been trying to read the tutorials too as best I can.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what I should do to make a comic ebook. The tutorials are not really giving me anything specific on making an ebook comic.

I mean do those image specs count for comic book pages?

500x500 pixels and 144 dpi (that's the preset setting I can get.

I did a quick look and the image is really small and it seems questionable that would be the proper format for a comic book page. Its like cell phone screen size with no zoom in option.

I also have been cropping out the bleed out area too for my jpeg images. (they are duplicates)

I could use some help if I'm doing something wrong or what I can do to make it right.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

First off, I'm basically brand new to this site. I've been trying to read the tutorials too as best I can.

Do you mean an ePub or a PDF e-book because they are not the same thing.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what I should do to make a comic ebook. The tutorials are not really giving me anything specific on making an ebook comic.

I will assume you mean an ePub and I don;t think Lulu use the kind of ePub that you need. Although Maggie may know when she's around.

I mean do those image specs count for comic book pages?

500x500 pixels and 144 dpi (that's the preset setting I can get.

I did a quick look and the image is really small and it seems questionable that would be the proper format for a comic book page. Its like cell phone screen size with no zoom in option.

Yes, they are formatted for the average size of device they are to loaded on to and read on, and that often will be a cell-phone (small files) but many of them do have resize options.

I also have been cropping out the bleed out area too for my jpeg images. (they are duplicates)

I doubt that counts with e-books because they are not printed and ePubs do not really have pages.

This may help >>>   https://gaprogman.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/tutorial-creating-epub-or-mobi-files-of-graphic-novels-or-manga/

• You can format a comic book for ebooks the same way you would format any picture book. Yes, the images will be small on a small reading device, but there is zoom ability in all devices.

As Kevin says, there is no bleed issue because there is no printing so don't worry about cropping unless your images have unnecessary white space at edges.

Insert your images as jpeg, RGB, one after the other and preview using Adobe Digital Editions. If you see that your images overlap using different font sizes and page views decrease the size of your images and reinsert.

Try 6 inches max width and height, 150 dpi and decrease from there. You may want to view only in medium and large and assume the reader will know to increase their page view. Otherwise your images may be small and blurry in large view.

A citizen of the world.

• I'm reading but man I'm having a hard time processing this. I'm more of a visual learner so its not easy to process all of this. 

Ok to make sure I understood all of this correctly. 

So, if I did all of that heading and formatting stuff in word. (the directions the tutorial had for Paragraph)

Then have the images at least 6 inches in height and 150 dpi and inserted it on word

I'm wondering if I need to put the cover in there or not also. I have a front and back cover.

I did read on what to put in for the cover, I get that at least. I was just wondering if I should put the covers in the epub itself.

I'm reading but man I'm having a hard time processing this. I'm more of a visual learner so its not easy to process all of this. 

Me too, but words form pictures in my head  Smiley Happy

Ok to make sure I understood all of this correctly. 

So, if I did all of that heading and formatting stuff in word. (the directions the tutorial had for Paragraph)

Some of that depends what you want in a TOC, and you have to have a TOC. EPubs do not have page number or Headers and Footers, but anything you want in the TOC needs to be tagged with Heading Style 1. The Wizard expects at least the Title and Copyright 'page' to be listed in the TOC or it will not pass the tests.

Then have the images at least 6 inches in height and 150 dpi and inserted it on word

Possibly ePubs are not a good media for comic books unless you have one frame per 'page', unless people have the sense not to read a comic book on a smart phone. Unlike the typed word as per text story books comic books are often quite large.

I'm wondering if I need to put the cover in there or not also.

I have a front

No. There's a Marketing Image Wizard as part of the Project Wizard and what is created in that (uploaded or whatever) that will be later placed in to the ePub as the cover and for the library shelf etc.

and back cover.

You can place the back cover as the last 'page' if you like. They don't normally have one.

I did read on what to put in for the cover, I get that at least. I was just wondering if I should put the covers in the epub itself.

No.

• What's a TOC?

I also don't understand that copyright thing. I could have sworn the video tutorial said that was an entirely seperate thing like the cover.

this is really complicated.

What's a TOC?

Table of Contents.

I also don't understand that copyright thing. I could have sworn the video tutorial said that was an entirely seperate thing like the cover.

In one way it is. It's towards the beginning of a Project Wizard where you can decide to have an an ISBN or not. Without one there's no Distribution to other retailers. When the number is shown you then include it on your Copyright page before you upload your finished file to the Conversion section.

ISBN: ******************

this is really complicated.

Welcome to Self-Publishing Smiley Happy People do not realise how much they have to learn and do before approaching one of the Project Wizards.