We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

A couple of questions

Hello all,

I have a couple of quick questions about creating an ebook.

First of all, it is my understanding that after an author creates an epub here that it can go on sale at the Kindle Bookstore. Considering that Kindle uses mobi files instead of epubs, how does that work?

Also, one of the tutorial pdfs that I just read here mentions that it is not a good idea to use line justification when creating an ebook. My documents are justified because I created a paperback first. Do I actually have to revert to no justification, and will the epub converter keep things legible?

Thank you for your answers. I may not make it back here until tomorrow to see what you have to say, so I offer my thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi there,

When you make the book available on Amazon, they do the conversion from EPUB to MOBI. There's also a number of programs out there that will convert from EPUB to MOBI for customers who want to buy from us and use their Kindle. Here's a couple of links to ones I use:

https://www.epub2mobi.com/

http://calibre-ebook.com/

The justification question can vary with the particular file. Most likely, you'll want to remove the justification, as it generally doesn't play nicely with EPUB files. You shouldn't see any major changes doing this to prepare for EPUB conversion, and of course you'll be able to download and preview the EPUB before you complete the book, to make certain everything looks right.

• All my ePubs are Justified, and although I only view them on my PC via ADE they look OK.

• Justification doesn't always hurt the formatting, but it can create inconsistency when going from one device to another.

• Thank you for the information. If I submit a rtf file that is not justified, will it become so when Lulu converts it to epub? If not, are ebooks using epub without justification common? I'm just wondering.

• Okay, thank you!

• Thank you for the information. If I submit a rtf file that is not justified, will it become so when Lulu converts it to epub?

No. All the Project Wizard does is convert to an ePub, and also create a TOC from any text you have set to Heading Style 1. If your file does not have any Heading Style 1 words in it, it will be rejected.

If not, are ebooks using epub without justification common? I'm just wondering.

No idea to be honest. I don't see what difference it makes, and Justification looks neater. Left Justification looks better in columns as per in newspapers because it's then obvious where the end of a line is.

• That helps. Thank you!