pages

Hi there, does anyone use pages re mac?

If yes, any problems with formatting ? And what did you do to resolve? 

(I have followed instructions but still have error msgs)

Thx, la

Comments

• When you compose your work using Pages and save it as a DOCX file, there is a bit of coding left in the file that can wreak a bit of havoc in the file during conversion.

• I use Pages on a Mac. When ready to publish, I save as a PDF, but don't use the export feature.  Use Print, and after that window opens instead of printing click the little PDF window lower left.  There are 6 PDF options, (also can save as postscript).  

Choose the easiest "save as PDF".  

This results in a the highest resolution PDF - in pages you get the choice of good better and best (omg);

Export/PDF/best is a suspiciously smaller file than Print/PDF as well.

Print/PDF method 

In formatting just use page breaks where applicable.  

I downloaded the 6X9 template from lulu, pasted my 58,000 words into it,

inserted 320 page breaks and had a well deserved glass of dry wine.

• Hi Kevin

The files were not uploading. I uploaded epub files .. assuming that that format was best.

I have since uploaded docx and all (!!) got uploaded without any issues.

I am currently working on the issues below - 

>> There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document. <<

I did insert Title, Sub-Title, Heading, Heading 2/3. However, I have to go through the document to see why the error above showed up. I will update later on, in the event that other 'pages users' experience the same.

Thanks for responding! Will check on your links as well!

la 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Hi Kevin

The files were not uploading. I uploaded epub files .. assuming that that format was best.

Did you not say above that you uploaded a PDF? But anyway, you cannot upload either to an ePub Wizard, they have to be DOC, DOCX, RTF, or ODT files according to Lulu's help pages.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Supported-File-Types/ta-p/206709

I have since uploaded docx and all (!!) got uploaded without any issues.

Yes I also find that best, but I use Word on Windows and it seems to work better on Windows.

I am currently working on the issues below - 

>> There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document. <<

I did insert Title, Sub-Title, Heading, Heading 2/3. However, I have to go through the document to see why the error above showed up. I will update later on, in the event that other 'pages users' experience the same.

I assume you mean Heading Styles? Some people just assume that it means mark a Chapter heading with bold or something. But it has to be a Heading Style. Usually HS 1 HS 2 and HS 3 in that order.

I only use Heading Style 1.

What you needed was Title, because I would expect the Sub-title to be on the same page as the Title so it would not need to be in the TOC.

I don't know what you mean by Heading, Heading 2/3.

As well as the Title, the word Copyright needs to be tagged with Heading Style 1.

That's the minimum. Anything else you want in the TOC should also be tagged with Heading Style 1. Chapter names for example.

You can have sub-entries in the TOC but each has to start with HS1 as the main listing, then HS 2, and then HS 3 if you want a sub-sub TOC listing, but then the next one has to be tagged with HS 1 again.

• Thx Glenn,
    I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one w/issues!
    Will be mindful of this for my next attempts this week ... la
  • Hi Orsidigital,

Thanks so much for the  info. I will be working at this during the week, so I really appreciate the instructions (so frustrating when 'stuck'.  

la

• Hi Kevin

Thx again for getting back.

Just catching up re all the replies. You are correct, pages has Title, Sub title.

Your information is detailed  - I have to go through document again, so hopefully wiht everyone's input, there should be resolution relatively soon. Agian - will update when the time comes. Thx once more ... 

la