Making Second Editon

My friend is rewriting my first book checking more for grammar ect. I am going to add a little more detail. If I do make a second edition should I remove the first edition? Thinking buying a couple of copies too for first editions copies later on.

Comments

• My friend is rewriting my first book checking more for grammar ect. I am going to add a little more detail. If I do make a second edition should I remove the first edition? Thinking buying a couple of copies too for first editions copies later on.

Yes. But make it obvious that the new one is an updated version, which will need a new ISBN of course.

• Was what I was thinking. But that would give me two books for sale right? Of course the second a revised one with maybe a new cover and some added info?

• Trust me. Big mistake. Don't create a new ISBN: You'll end up with several books of the same titles on amazon.com and people won't know which one to take. I mean, which one is the "No good" one and they would want to know which one you want them to buy and they will wonder? "Why you took the old one off in the first place!".

And also because someone might've bought the title with the old ISBN which I'm sure someone has bought the title and so they, (Meaning Amazon.com)  won't remove it. They just mark it unavailable because they can't just up and leave the old title behind, and so it looks sloppy. Just look at mine.

Two books with the same title makes you look like an idiot and that you don't know what your doing, were to quick to publish, and people will never buy any of your books because they don't know which book is which! So, which one is the, "Correct book" when there's two of them listed at the same time. You'll end up fixing it again and re-naming your title the same way I had to do.

Then, go through the trouble to update wherever you've listed your book. A new ISBN number with the same title is a nightmare suggestion! Just list it as a second edition with the same ISBN number if its bothering your conscience. Just remember, "Your the one who's in control. Don't let chivalry screw up your reputation!" Try to transfer your title as quietly as possible! Or, the only other way is to write a new title. Baaaaad decicion man. Take it from me. Just replace the PDF file and leave it at that.

• Was what I was thinking. But that would give me two books for sale right?

Sorry, I meant withdraw the first book.

Of course the second a revised one with maybe a new cover and some added info?

It could be the same cover but with New Improved Edition added, and say what the changes are in the blurb.

• You will look a bigger idiot if you drastically change a book that people have already bought, and previous buyers will not thank you for suddenly changing the original edition after they have paid good money for it.

It needs to be a new book with a new ISBN anyway, because it will no longer be the same book, and as I said above, you just need to say why it is not exactly the same. As I also said above, it can have the same title and cover but with the subtitle added.

The changes do have to be quite large though to make it a new improved second edition.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Was what I was thinking. But that would give me two books for sale right?

Sorry, I meant withdraw the first book.

Of course the second a revised one with maybe a new cover and some added info?

It could be the same cover but with New Improved Edition added, and say what the changes are in the blurb.

The problem is, "YOU CANT WITHDRAW THE TITLE"!!!

• The problem is, "YOU CANT WITHDRAW THE TITLE"!!!

Ermm, the title is part of the book and when that is withdrawn it also withdraws all to do with it.

• Really, Really, bad idea. Don't get a new ISBN. I'm telling you. It's nothing but trouble. Like I said a thousand times with Lomas, "Why is formal ediquete and rules that make you look bad but are unavoidable for God know why? No rules man. Just right. That's what Indie pulsihing is all about! When you try to follow everybodies rules you end up with somthing that is not yours.

• kevinlomas wrote:

The problem is, "YOU CANT WITHDRAW THE TITLE"!!!

Ermm, the title is part of the book and when that is withdrawn it also withdraws all to do with it.

not on amazon it doesn't

• Are you for real? Not everyone is paranoid.

• the title still remains on amazon.com Kevin. Right along with the cover, preview, and description. All of which cannot be changed with a new ISBN when all your doing is boneing up on a few new changes. Just change the PDF file over to the new one and call it a day.

• Could

kevinlomas wrote:

Are you for real? Not everyone is paranoid.

Could you please explain to me what you meant by this?

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher

I am in the process of rewriting my books and have published several second editions. You simply delete the old PDF file and replace it with the second one. You retain the same ISBN and you can if you wish change your cover. The changes will eventually filter through on Amazon and other outlets. I also add that it it a second edition. 

• You simply delete the old PDF file and replace it with the second one. You retain the same ISBN

No, because it's not the same book so it needs a new ISBN. What is so hard to understand?

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher

Kevin, I have completed this process withh approx fifteen of my novels so far. I just delete the old file, retain the ISBN and change it to second edition. Amazon and other sellers upgrade my book when it reaches their channels. It is not a new story, as I simply reedited the book.

• There are traditions, conventions and even rules, standardised by all publishing houses, and some originated 100s of years ago. Just because a person self-publishes does not mean they can be ignored.

• kevinlomas wrote:

There are traditions, conventions and even rules, standardised by all publishing houses, and some originated 100s of years ago. Just because a person self-publishes does not mean they can be ignored.

Who makes the rules Kevin?

Is it subjective to one's own creative abilities or in some cases not so much? It's the same in self publishing as anywhere else. Then you must consider wether or not who made the chair can sell it or not. But please believe me, "There's a butt for every seat." You can't get sued if it wears out. Unless it comes with a garountee.

Or that's what you think your getting for the four grand you have to chell out to a progressional published house? Because if that's what you expect then maybe your swimming in the wrong pond?

In the writing world positive PR and word of mouth can make or break any writer. Some people just come with a sort of magic, (Or has a lot of money. Airgo a person who is idolized!) That ties it all together. It's not about the book itself per-say, but more about the story that lies within it.

Professionalism is better than capitalism any day of the week. But money talks baby! Maybe you should take a vacation to wonderful Las Vegas, relax with a margaritas, and win lots of cash. You really should get out more. It's good for the soul. I can taste that prime rib already. Cheers! KRB.CRB

• Who makes the rules Kevin?

Those who have been doing it for 100s of years?

Is it subjective to one's own creative abilities or in some cases not so much?

No, the creativeness is in the contents, the story, or even the information in non-fiction. That's what people are paying for. They also expect it to be readable. Would you build a round LED TV screen just to be 'creative'? No, No one would buy it.

It's the same in self publishing as anywhere else.

Yes it is. A book should look like a book no matter who publishes it.

Then you must consider wether or not who made the chair can sell it or not.

Huh? There's little comparison, in fact they do not have ISBNs.

But please believe me, "There's a butt for every seat."

Well now you have said it. But the butt has to be able to sit on it comfortably. How about a seat full of spikes just to be creative?

You can't get sued if it wears out. Unless it comes with a garountee.

Not sure what that has to do with it.

Or that's what you think your getting for the four grand you have to chell out to a progressional published house?

You are mistaking Vanity Publishing with publishing houses that take up manuscripts and work on them - at their own cost. And what do they create? Books with contents that look like books, because that's what people expect, in fact the tools they use are geared  up to creating books that look like books. Some people are in great need of those professional services even if they have to pay for them.

Because if that's what you expect then maybe your swimming in the wrong pond?

What? A chair? But if I had to pay some one to do my books for me I would indeed expect them to be perfect. The sane goes for my books taken up by mainstream professional publishing houses. I wonder if you even know what one is?

Here's one >>  http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/

In the writing world positive PR and word of mouth can make or break any writer. Some people just come with a sort of magic, (Or has a lot of money. Airgo a person who is idolized!) That ties it all together. It's not about the book itself per-say, but more about the story that lies within it.

But that story still has to be in perfect English (or whatever the language) perfectly formatted, with a good cover. Why is that so hard to understand? As an example, if your books are written like your posts then people would stop reading after the first paragraph.

Professionalism is better than capitalism any day of the week.

Huh? Do you know what the words mean?

But money talks baby! Maybe you should take a vacation to wonderful Las Vegas, relax with a margaritas, and win lots of cash. You really should get out more. It's good for the soul. I can taste that prime rib already. Cheers! KRB.CRB

That's very insulting to some one you know nothing about, but as usual your post is nothing to do with the thread subject ...

Right, I am off to put my car's steering wheel in the trunk, just to be creative.