We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

publishing

does any body have a easy way to edut

Comments

• I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. This is what I do:

I write as fast and as furiously as I can without worrying about grammar or spelling mistakes. When I'm done I read through the file and correct spelling and grammar mistakes. I read through it again to pick up any I missed the first time around. I then read through it again to make sure that it says what I mean it to say and that I am happy with the prose.

When I've done the preliminary edits, I make a duplicate copy of the file and highlight the original copy in yellow (Click Control plus A to select all the text, and then click Text Highlight Colour to colour the page).

I now ensure I have both the original file and the duplicate file open and start reading through the duplicate file, paragraph by paragraph. When I am happy with each paragraph I delete it. When I encounter mistakes I go back to the original and correct them. You will see why I highlight the original in yellow. When my duplicate file is empty I remove the text highlight colour from the original file and publish it.

• There are programs that you can buy that will help. I like Ginger which is free but does have paid features. I hear whitesmoke is good also. I just gave mine to a friend who holds a Masters in English. She is rewriting my first book for a second edition.

• I would say there's no easy way, and if doubtful then pay some one to do it. Note that you typed edut and not edit.

• kevinlomas wrote:

I would say there's no easy way, and if doubtful then pay some one to do it. Note that you typed edut and not edit.

"Does anybody have an easy way to edit?"

• jeffrey2 wrote:

does any body have a easy way to edut

There really is no easy way.

There are, actually, two kinds of editing that do two different things. The editor of a book looks at things like overall style, sense, characterization...things like that. A copy editor is in charge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. It's certainly possible for both of these jobs to be done by the same person. The person who should not be doing them is the author themselves. The reason is simple: it is almost impossible for an author to be objective enough about their own work. An effective editing job is done by someone who has no special interest in the book and who can look at it objectively.

The second thing not to do is to depend upon Spell Check or grammar checkers. This is always a huge mistake.

And here we see the beauty of the Lulu forums.

You have been given three very different pieces of advice; only you know which one to take.

You could use software to edit your manuscript but I wouldn't advise that you do. Software just isn't up to doing this important job. Each author has to develop his own voice and this should show in your writing.

You could have a go at doing the editing yourself but you would need to be ruthless; each sentence has to earn its place in your story.

Or, you can pay someone $ 500 to edit your manuscript and then spend the next ten years trying to recoup your costs.

I have often been the first person to buy a book on Kindle - I have very eclectic tastes - and I have often been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the writing. It is not the writing, or editing, holding some books back but lack of exposure.

If, like many people on Lulu, you can't afford to pay someone to edit your book don't be afraid to have a go yourself. If the dollars start to roll in you can pay someone to edit your next book.

•  It is not the writing, or editing, holding some books back but lack of exposure

It can be exactly bad writing or editing holding a book back because it can be seen via Previews.

• I edit in stages. First I write the story, and then I put it away for a while. Then I get it out and make all of the revisions I can find, before putting it away again. Usually I go through about four to six edit cycles, before I begin publication. Then I have someone else read the proof copy and mark the errors they find.

• Mystery_Kids wrote:

I edit in stages. First I write the story, and then I put it away for a while. Then I get it out and make all of the revisions I can find, before putting it away again. Usually I go through about four to six edit cycles, before I begin publication. Then I have someone else read the proof copy and mark the errors they find.

Excellent! that's the process I use, although I usually only give it one cycle through the sock drawer (storage for stories not yet ready) before ruthless revisions begin. And I try to enlist the most brutal friends I can find as editors.

In addition, I have also found it helpful to print the story and then to type it back in from scratch. It's a lot of work... Tons of work... But it helps me catch things, and it helps me to see where I need an explanatory scene or a better segue. Sometimes I even spot things I need to cut out.