Multi-Document Ebook: can ebooks have more than one pdf?

Hi,

I have an unusual question:

Is it possible to have more than one document for download when a customer buys a single ebook?

I mean that a customer will log on to my ebook page on Lulu, buy the ebook and when he goes to download it, there will be two PDFs. First the book itself and secondly the accompnaying notes.

I do not wish to combine these two for certain reasons.

Does anyone know? I would appreciate anyone's answer.

Comments

• You mean two books. One volume for the text, and another for the notes, each with its own ISBN.
  • Hii there Jean-Paul,

I am new to this, so I might be asking a question here that is obvious to everyone else, but how would one go about making customers who are buying the first ebook aware that they need to download the accompanying ntotes?

I believe it said somewhere in the Lulu content that you can't include a link on your book sales page or its description.

So how would i let readers know they need to download the second pdf?

I don't think a statement on the Author spotlight page would do it, as not all customers visit that page.

I thought of including a paragraph explaining and a hyperlink to a page on my website, on the front matter of the primary ebook, where the accompaying notes can be downloaded. But despite reading all the available posts on these forums on this subject i have not been successful in including hyperlinks in my PDF.

When i save a word file into pdf on my computer,  the hyperlinks work, but when i upload the pdf into the publishiing wizard, the pdf that comes out at the end does not have working hyperlinks. (I do not wish to upload word documents into the publishing wizard as it cancels out some of my word formatting).

I would prefer for it to be a working active link and not a text link, as i believe that text links are harder to use on a smartphone or tablet.

So is there a practical way that i am missing to make customers aware of the second ebookl?

Any help would be appreciated.

• First of all. Lulu PDF e-books cannot have ISBNs.

I am new to this, so I might be asking a question here that is obvious to everyone else, but how would one go about making customers who are buying the first ebook aware that they need to download the accompanying ntotes?

Say so in the Description that is displayed at the side of your book/s.

I believe it said somewhere in the Lulu content that you can't include a link on your book sales page or its description.

Yes you can, but not an active one (although I am not sure that applies to PDF e-books.) Just have the address.

So how would i let readers know they need to download the second pdf?

If it's crucial that they, everyone, also have the notes I don't understand why you don't just combine them as one PDF.

I don't think a statement on the Author spotlight page would do it, as not all customers visit that page.

How are they going to buy the download then? But each book will have it's own Spotlight page linked from your main Spotlight. Note where it says More Detail under every book.

See >>   http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kevinlomas

I thought of including a paragraph explaining and a hyperlink to a page on my website, on the front matter of the primary ebook, where the accompaying notes can be downloaded. But despite reading all the available posts on these forums on this subject i have not been successful in including hyperlinks in my PDF.

Well, as I say, I don't understand why it's all not just one book if people also need the notes.

When i save a word file into pdf on my computer,  the hyperlinks work, but when i upload the pdf into the publishiing wizard, the pdf that comes out at the end does not have working hyperlinks.

They do not have to be hotlinks, and not everyone reads e-books on devices with net connection. A web address they can type in to a search engine will do.

(I do not wish to upload word documents into the publishing wizard as it cancels out some of my word formatting).

That can be a clue that your formatting is wrong.

I would prefer for it to be a working active link and not a text link, as i believe that text links are harder to use on a smartphone or tablet.

But most active links within text or in navigation bars or whatever, are text links, but you are discounting people who read things on other devices that do not have web-access (having put them on from a PC or something) or that they are even out of range of wireless. You have to allow for those also.

So is there a practical way that i am missing to make customers aware of the second ebookl?

Yes, just have it on your Spotlight. But I cannot understand why it needs to be two books if people have to have both.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi there Kevin,

Thanks for the detailed answer. The solution then is to include a single sentence and text link in the book description since we can include them in the desciption. Problem solved.

Regarding the Author Spotlight page. I will be creating one soon. I just don't want to assume that every person logging in to my book page from my website is going to visit the Spotlight page.

Regarding why i want to keep the two ebooks separate, that is a purely artistic matter. I am a strong believer that a work of art must stand by itself, without commentary. The accompanying notes are needed to properly understand the work but I do not believe they should be bundled together with the first book, just as you wont find an artist's thoughts about his painting inscribed on the painting itself, nor a singer's explanation of his song recorded as a ten minute monologue before his actual song.

I know this is an ebook and not a painting or song but i believe the principle applies to all works of art.

Thanks again.

• Thanks for the detailed answer. The solution then is to include a single sentence and text link in the book description since we can include them in the desciption. Problem solved.

Just the web address.

Regarding the Author Spotlight page. I will be creating one soon. I just don't want to assume that every person logging in to my book page from my website is going to visit the Spotlight page.

Will that not be where they will be buying it from then? A link from your own site will go to your Lulu Spotlight. If they don't click that then they possibly have no intention of buying it or them.

Regarding why i want to keep the two ebooks separate, that is a purely artistic matter. I am a strong believer that a work of art must stand by itself, without commentary. The accompanying notes are needed to properly understand the work but I do not believe they should be bundled together with the first book, just as you wont find an artist's thoughts about his painting inscribed on the painting itself, nor a singer's explanation of his song recorded as a ten minute monologue before his actual song.

I am an artist. I don't go in to detail why I paint what I paint. It's no one else's business. That's for the viewer to decide, if they care that much. It's rarely the artist of any media who provides notes about their own output, normally it will be other people who do that. One example is entire books analysing the works of Milton, or whoever, to be read by those taking degrees about such people, so really have a need to know because they are going to be tested on it.

I know this is an ebook and not a painting or song but i believe the principle applies to all works of art.

Just how are you classing it as a work of art? That phrase is often used by the viewer of such things if they think it is not just art, but a work of art. A Masterclass. There's art and there's art.