We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Blurbs

It is so sad to see some of the blurbs provided for books published here on Lulu.

Your blurb has got to be word perfect. It is your store window; it is supposed to entice people to buy your book. If it is boring and full of spelling and grammar errors then the cause is already lost. You might as well have a blurb saying 'do not read this book'. I want to read books in English; if the blurb is written in very poor English (mixing tenses, incorrect use of the apostrophe, incorrect capitalization, etc.) then I will shy away from the book.

I would suggest that the blurb is written while you are writing your book and not as an afterthought.

I am all for anyone having a go at self publishing but one has to be realistic. If your product is very poor you can't expect much in the way of sales.

Comments

• I completely agree! In fact when I read some of the forum postings here I'm appalled at the misuse (abuse) of the English language and wonder about the quality of the poster's published writing. I know we live in the age of Facebook and textspeak but a truly professional writer wouldn't be lazy here or anywhere else. 

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile
    How right you are! A blurb should be flawless. Besides making it convincing is not easy, as proved by some blurbs from major publishers. Also, quite often, the latter are not blurbs, but mere quotations from established critics.
    On the other hand, I hope the people who ask questions in broken English to the participants of this forum do not publish books in English, but in other languages they are fluent in.
  • I agree, and at times it's just laziness. Few even seem to take a nano-second to notice that these posts have a spell-checker. But I do not think that some care. I also think that some do not realise that their English is rubbish.

• Writing a good description/blurb is an art form. People get paid to do that.

I think the problem is twofold: 

1. Lulu could do a better job explaining how important the description is for the book.
    2. I also think people really aren't prepared when they get to that page. And, even though they have nothing prepared, they must put something (50 characters) just to complete the publishing wizard. Perhaps we should build in an email reminder a few days after publication to suggest authors review their product pages - specifically their description text and keywords.
  • That's an excellent suggestion, Glen. I 've been there before with my first book, suddenly and unexpectedly confronted with a description to fulfil without having previously thought about it at all. And like many before me, I'm sure, I filled this in without proper consideration in a rush to get my book published. I think authors should think long and hard about this aspect of the self-publishing process and even get as much feedback as they would for the novel itself.

And of course you're right about Lulu providing a reminder and I can see this happening eventually. After all, it's in Lulu's interest as well. The self-publishing industry is often criticised for the poor quality of its contributors. Everything possible to help the independent author produce quality and get their books on a level stage with the big publishing houses is welcome. We need to shake off the false notion that self-publishing is second best. It isn't. There are so many good writers out there that now have a platform and Lulu have been instrumental in that, for which I am extremely grateful. It should now be a duty for every independent author to refine and polish their work (and its blurb) to the best possible. Then the world can see without the previous bias what talent the big publishers have suppressed for so many years.

• It should of course be composed before reaching the Description box because normally it is the same text that goes on the back cover. As we often recommend, people should take a look at book covers as an example of what is put on to them. (As well as the pages.)

For my latest book I used some sample text from the story as a teaser.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kevin-lomas/keep-that-noise-down/paperback/product-22303474.html