We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

What does it mean, "Get some help?"

LOMAS SAID IN BLUE WRITTTEN BELOW:

Your a writer. I'm an author. There's a difference.

A Writer is a person who uses written words in various styles and techniques to communicate ideas. They produce various forms of literary art and creative writing such as novels ...

An Author is a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist.

I can see no difference so then I am both.

My books make a difference. You, "write" articles. Not books.

How strange you should think that, It's a strange accusation to a person using a self-publishing site. Try clicking my banner, which you have seen for a few years now.

You just kick people when they're down, and I hope you can somehow come to grips with that and I'm asking you to please stop doing, and saying that,
"I shouldn't be one thing or another?"

Just who do you think you are? What gives you the right? How come your so much better than I am? Is there a reason why your so much more important than everybody else? Or is it just me? Lomas?

Besides, it was just meant to be a funny story, and I don't recall talking anything bad or about a bad review. I could care less what you think about me to tell you the truth. I know who you are and you mean nothing to me. Besides, all I was doing is telling it like it is.  Just for a heads up to the newbee's on the site.

It's all in your imagination. Please get some help. I wont reply here again. 

KURT BURNUM SAYS:

How can you suggest that there is something wrong with me when you continue to insult me and mey work. I believe that my books are just as important as anything that you've written, and with all of your, "short stories" none of which has more that 90,000 words total. My books are professionally written, edited, and formatted.

Maybe even better than yours, but I'm not here to judge you for what you've done. I would just like a little respect. The same respect you would give anybody who was mentally ill, and what I mean by kicking me when I'm down is because you've decided that it's Okay to insult and belittle the handicap. I should be treated just the same as everybody else.

I've never done anything to harm a fly and I'm tired of being treated as an outcast when no one will leave a remark in this forum after I'v e left a thread. So, yeah I feel ignored and mistreated just because I'm mentally ill. If that's what it takes to belitle me to make yourself feel better than, Sir I would suggest that you get help. KRB/CRB

Comments

• Shadowmonkey wrote:

What was that all about?

It's about the end of this thread.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/General-Discussions/how-can-i-find-someone-who-can-read-my-book/td-p/73649

Can't you read the quote that I've posted send by Lomas in the thread above? Call me crazy but it seems pretty obvious to me.

• Of course, he did day he would not respond which I will take as a, "No comment." The same response go-to that of serial killers and corrupt politicians alike..

www.talesfromjoshuatree.com

• Bolter,

Kevin is often unbelievably rude and insensitive. Try to ignore him, if you can.

• And Bolter is not?! Read back ...

He has a gripe with some reviewer on some other site not liking his book, in fact many of them on many sites, (and it's certainly not me reviewing his books ... ) nothing at all to do with Lulu or the people who use it, or even myself, so due to that he's 'warning' all newcomers to Lulu about 'trolls' picking on him, on other sites.

Get it now?

• danielblue wrote:

Bolter,

Kevin is often unbelievably rude and insensitive. Try to ignore him, if you can.

Thanks danielblue. Lomas is right though. My books have been put though the ringer on many occasion's so he is correct in that. My whole point in this matter is that I shouldn't be insulted personally with suggestions that my threads, book, and basically anything else that has to do just because I have a disease. I just want to be treated the same as everybody else. But I've been working on my books diligently and they appear to me to be quite stable at the moment.This whole thing has been a learning experience for me.

Everything that I've ever done has been at my own cost which for me is a hobby and I and I enjoy it. Even though it is my own hard work so if people don't like it then that's perfectly fine with me.I just needed some time and still need time to learn how things really work.I allowed some of those reviews to be published regardless even though I could've stoppped it. At least in one case anyway where I recieved 1 star out of 4.I paid $30 buck to allow it to be circulated.

Just don't make it a personal issue by rubbing in the fact they my stories have been printed in an unsatisfactory manner. I'm doing everything I can to improve my books, but you must understand, "It takes time and the fact of the mater is that I've done all of this on my own without any help from anyone." Which is fine. Evey little bit of it has been done by me. That should be enough for me and it should be good enough for him. At least that's my opinion on the matter. Once again I would like to thank you.

I've tried to appologize to him on several occasion's. Just in hopes that he would forgive me for my trespasses against him, as he may forgive me for my trespasses against him...I've now extended the olive branch. What he decides to do with it is up to him. Maybe there's a lesson here for the both of us here? At least I hope there will be.

Kevin,

"I'm sorry for whatever I've done to upset your inner morality about how things should be when handled in an Indie Publishing Authorship. But I will not appologize to you. Self Publishing is for everyone to publish their work. When everything is made to be. black and white when all your really doing is placing rules in place that people should follow when in all actuality freedom has no rules..." KRB/CRB

Check out my new webpage at www.talesfromjoshuatree.com I would reallly apreciate it. Thank you for you time.

• If I may...

All of us, from time to time, need what can be euphemistically called, "Mental Hygiene."

That is, we need to turn our thoughts from bad thinking patterns towards better thinking patterns. I think that this thread illustrates that need. An ancient speaker named Yeshua HaMaschiah had some remarks which might illustrate good practices for mental hygiene (my paraphrase):

"Happiness comes to the humble; they will have spiritual riches.

Happiness comes to the heartbroken; they will be comforted.

Happiness comes to the gentle; they will be richly rewarded.

Happiness comes to those who try to be righteous; they will have their goal.

Happiness comes to the merciful; others will show them mercy.

Happiness comes to the pure; God will welcome them.

Happiness comes to the peacemakers; They will be identified with God.

Happiness comes to those who are picked on for doing good things; Heaven will be their reward."

Thinking about these maxims may be helpful in reading this thread and in responding to it.

• I did say I would not reply to you again, but oh well. I am infinitely patient.

Thanks danielblue. Lomas is right though. My books have been put though the ringer on many occasion's so he is correct in that.

So have many other peoples' and they either just roll with it or if they can they make their works better.

My whole point in this matter is that I shouldn't be insulted personally with suggestions that my threads, book, and basically anything else that has to do just because I have a disease.

It's your perpetual instance that you think that people have it in for you personally, and they have not, they are just expressing an opinion, and if you put your books in to the open market they have every right to, but you also go on to warn people about people who dare to review a book as if those people are evil beings, and they are not, they are expressing an opinion, and many writers will take note of what is said. The last review I read of your book was not at all insulting but simply pointed out that it could do with the help of an editor and it included great advice for any aspiring writer.

You even had a go at Ron suggesting he had said all many of things to you, when he has not. You quote things that myself and Ron have never said to you.

It's your paranoia you need help with and to stop taking your frustrations out on others.

I just want to be treated the same as everybody else.

Act like them then. But you are treated like any other writer when it comes to be reviews.

But I've been working on my books diligently and they appear to me to be quite stable at the moment.This whole thing has been a learning experience for me.

Good! So it should be.

Everything that I've ever done has been at my own cost which for me is a hobby and I and I enjoy it. Even though it is my own hard work so if people don't like it then that's perfectly fine with me.

But it's not. If anyone suggests changes to you it results in a vendetta.

I just needed some time and still need time to learn how things really work.

But you have been using these forums for years and your book was published years ago.

I allowed some of those reviews to be published regardless even though I could've stoppped it.

No you cannot stop them.

At least in one case anyway where I recieved 1 star out of 4.I paid $30 buck to allow it to be circulated.

Huh?

Just don't make it a personal issue by rubbing in the fact they my stories have been printed in an unsatisfactory manner.

I have never seen one printed. I have never bought one, but I once read your Preview years ago.

I'm doing everything I can to improve my books, but you must understand, "It takes time and the fact of the mater is that I've done all of this on my own without any help from anyone." Which is fine.

Not true. As I have said, you have been using Lulu for years and have had masses of advice in the past.

Evey little bit of it has been done by me.

Well it is self-publishing.

That should be enough for me and it should be good enough for him.

Him who? But the point is, it has to be good enough for reviewers who read and review 1000s of books, most mass-produced via the aid of teams of people, and those reviewers make no allowances for a book being self-published.

At least that's my opinion on the matter. Once again I would like to thank you.

I've tried to appologize to him on several occasion's.

I have never noticed ... but there should be no reason to have to apologise.

Just in hopes that he would forgive me for my trespasses against him, as he may forgive me for my trespasses against him...I've now extended the olive branch. What he decides to do with it is up to him. Maybe there's a lesson here for the both of us here? At least I hope there will be.

I need no lessons thanks. I am trying to help you, not vice versa.

Kevin,

"I'm sorry for whatever I've done to upset your inner morality about how things should be when handled in an Indie Publishing Authorship. But I will not appologize to you. Self Publishing is for everyone to publish their work. When everything is made to be. black and white when all your really doing is placing rules in place that people should follow when in all actuality freedom has no rules..." KRB/CRB

But the layout of books do, as does the level of English in them.

Check out my new webpage at www.talesfromjoshuatree.com I would reallly apreciate it. Thank you for you time.

You have some nice covers. Who did them? Where are the images from?

• Okay, I actually was able to make it all the way through that mishmashed, hash tag, voyeurism. Shew!!! But just let me say this,

"Thank you."

"I've changed my evil ways and no longer dispute any book bashing, or of a personal nature or all of the criticism from people who talk badly about me and my work, but don't even know an once of it! And of course to the infinite untruthfulness against anything else that's been insane on my part.

Even my hard work and personal treasure as being a one star book! I've accepted that.Even with it only being strictly negativitism, (Wuahoo! I just made that up!)  about me or anything that I do. I should take no action to all insults on my behalf and against my work I will not defend myself in any sort of way.

"Ccome what may!?! As they may say."

I will continue on from here and be as gracious, polite, courteous, cordial, and above all keep a warm smile across my face as best as I can at all times!"

So please answer me one more question Mr. Lomas;

"How is it that you cant' find it in your heart to walk in someone elses shoes for once?"

You remember that thread where you called me, "negative"; That was supposed to be my funny run down rendition of trying to be a comedic act. Yeah I was blowing off some steam, but it was supposed to be comical. Not exactly to be recieved as a complaint. I think that's where we just got our wires crossed.

As far as the covers, "The Mighty Companion" was picked from stock photo's. So its under contract. "Pseudo Alchemy" was actually professionally designed byTate Publishing for 4 bills even though they ended up not printing the book because the guy I was working with was a clown. (But, consider the source.), and the one for, "Khufu's Counterweights" I made using a photograph of the actual blue prints of The Great Pyramid of Giza mixed in with a, "cookie cutter" layout on createspace.com generic cover creator.

Thanks for the complements by the way. If you dig in a little closer to the actual book of Khufu's Counterweights, and that of The Mighty Companion you may be surprised! There's been a ton of renovation. As I said I've been working pretty hard on them, just because I want it to be something that I could be proud of and that people would enjoy one day.I even added an index onto, "Khuyfu's counterweights!" Oh well. I guess I'll talk to you guys later. KRB/CRB

If you want to, you can check out the previews at www.khufuscounterweights2015.com if you would like to read more.

• I can all too easily understand your frustration!

I hope you have appreciated the fact that while I have been critical of your books I have always tried to do so with some courtesy. With that same courtesy, I need to point out that you make some fundamental assumptions that probably should be corrected.

The main one is that you call your writing a "hobby" while at the same time charging people for the pleasure of reading your books...books which you yourself admit are in a process of evolution and growth as you continue to work on and improve them. The problem is that you cannot really expect people to buy anything that is less than perfect---or as perfect as possible. This means that you need to get your books up to high polish before you try to market them and not try to sell people books that are still being improved. You should get them right first and then charge money for them.

Doing otherwise is like a beginning woodworker who is just starting to learn his craft saying to someone, "I know I have a lot to learn and that the chair I just made has a lot of problems and mistakes and needs a lot of improvement, but please buy it for the same amount you would pay for a well-made chair created by someone with a lot of experience."

You mentioned to Kevin, "How can you suggest that there is something wrong with me when you continue to insult me and mey work. I believe that my books are just as important as anything that you've written, and with all of your, "short stories" none of which has more that 90,000 words total. My books are professionally written, edited, and formatted."

Well, for one thing, wordage is no indication of the quality of a book. 

Second, your books would only be "professionally written" if you are professional author. And while someone may have charged you to edit them, I have already suggested that---based on what I have seen---you might want to ask for your money back. 

Do you not recall your Preview being gone over here years ago and it being pointed out that compound pulleys were invented at least a 1000 years after that pyramid was built?

• Gosh, he's counted the words in one of my books?! How has he done that? But he's wrong because they are less than 90,000 words. However, the first thing I published here, when I saw the cost, I split it in to Part 1 & 2 to get the cost down. I take in to consideration the cost. One I have just published is only 51,880 words. Written as a short short story.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kevin-lomas/keep-that-noise-down/ebook/product-22304800.html   (Preview is on the paperback)

There's a reason for everything.

But as Ron says, size does not matter ...

• THen you should enjoy my books then.  www.khufuscounterweights2015.com

Rule#1: Get rid of the competition.

The Mighty Companion is well edited by Annie Cosby and is over 150,000 words. That's more than double your two short stories put together format's in small californianFB font. I believe its either 10 or 11 pt in font size and 348 pages of pure adrenaline.

There's a 30 page preview on the website but since you now mention that it could be read for free I will give it to you for free. Well worth the3 $10 bucks I'm asking for it. my other two books are only 6. You seem to charge an arm an a leg. Does that make you a god?

That goes for any of my books. But, being a guy with nothing to do but enjoy my hobby and since you didn't write it you probably won't want to read it. Unless you guys have something positive to add or want a free copy I will discontinue visiting this forum just like as it seems that you want.

Your critiasizm should go for everybody on this site and believe me, I've seen some real, "LuLu's" that have been perfectly acceptable to everyone. And as far as I'm concerned I haven't been affored any type of leeway. So, Good bye and Good Riddens. KRB/CRB

P.S. Ron, I looked at your stuff on Amazon.com and you seem to be some type of spiritualist or guru of some type. Why then all the critisizm? Can't you just Let It Be?

Just look at this crp:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Chesley-Bonestell-Ron-Miller/dp/1855858843/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1442201559&sr=8-31&keywords=ron+miller

Seriously?

If you want to get ahold of me please do so through my webpage. Thank you.

• Bolter1224 wrote:

Rule#1: Get rid of the competition.

The Mighty Companion is well edited by Annie Cosby and is over 150,000 words. That's more than double your two short stories put together format's in small californianFB font. I believe its either 10 or 11 pt in font size and 348 pages of pure adrenaline.

I hate to tell you this, but there are errors in the very first sentence of The Mighty Companion...

That goes for any of my books. But, being a guy with nothing to do but enjoy my hobby and since you didn't write it you probably won't want to read it. Unless you guys have something positive to add or want a free copy I will discontinue visiting this forum just like as it seems that you want.

I can only assume that by "positive" you mean unadulterated praise and not helpful suggestions on how to make your books better.

Your critiasizm should go for everybody on this site and believe me, I've seen some real, "LuLu's" that have been perfectly acceptable to everyone. And as far as I'm concerned I haven't been affored any type of leeway. So, Good bye and Good Riddens. KRB/CRB

I have given exactly the same advice to a great many other Lulu authors and have always tried to do so with as much courtesy and respect (and often patience) as possible. Some people take this advice in the spirit in which it was given...others don't.

P.S. Ron, I looked at your stuff on Amazon.com and you seem to be some type of spiritualist or guru of some type. Why then all the critisizm? Can't you just Let It Be?

Just look at this crp:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Chesley-Bonestell-Ron-Miller/dp/1855858843/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1442201559&sr=8-31&keywords=ron+miller

Seriously?

Uh...while there is a Ron Miller who I believe writes about religion, it's not me. I'm the Ron Miller who wrote the biography of Chesley Bonestell you seem to find so objectionable...which I might mention not only has a foreword by Arthur C. Clarke but won a Hugo award in 2002. I can only presume that you have also overlooked the ratings and reviews of the book, let alone what dealers are now asking for it (who would ever thought I'd be collectible?).

I am also responsible for this book as well.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Space-Earliest-Graphics/dp/0760346569/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C8HN3F2P62ZCAGFEQ4B&dpID=51z4Cvg%252Bj2L&dpsrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR284%2C320_

All I can do, I suppose, is wish you the best of luck with your efforts.

I appear to have missed out on a few interesting episodes while I was out moving pebbles around.

2015-10-Rocks.jpg

Ron, I'm not surprised your work has become collectible.

Would it be a surprise I got a 2-Star rating, because the buyer thought the book being bought was erotica instead of Sci-Fi? Compost happens.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I hope that bucket is on your Bucket List.

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

kevinlomas wrote:

I hope that bucket is on your Bucket List.

No, merely as scale for the pebble next to it.

Instead of a bucket list, I simply hope to survive long enough to see my two youngest reasonably grown.

In the interim, as I have time and weather permits I'll move rocks around so the ridge our house is on doesn't lose too much soil, I don't mind the rock underneath but I do like trees and shrubs.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Ah but it could be a very tiny bucket.

Instead of a bucket list, I simply hope to survive long enough to see my two youngest reasonably grown.

Well add that to it then.  Smiley Happy  I am 34 years older than my oldest 'child', BTW.  Smiley Surprised

In the interim, as I have time and weather permits I'll move rocks around so the ridge our house is on doesn't lose too much soil, I don't mind the rock underneath but I do like trees and shrubs.

And trees and shrubs are the best thing for holding ground together.

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

kevinlomas wrote:

Ah but it could be a very tiny bucket.

It's a 5 gallon (roughly 19 Liter) bucket, so scratch that theory.

Well add that to it then.  Smiley Happy  I am 34 years older than my oldest 'child', BTW.  Smiley Surprised

I'm 21 years older than my eldest, and 54 years older than my current youngest.

And trees and shrubs are the best thing for holding ground together.

Grasses help as well, but I prefer the wild varieties.