Publishing revision

How can I get Lulu to publish revision in same format as original? I want Lulu to publish my revised interior text is exactly the same size and  format and as the 1st. I have lost my own files and don't know how to discover from Lulu the right size to make the interior.

Comments

• Open the manuscript file and look the the properties (In Microsoft Word go to File > Properties).

The maunscript file should be the same size as the book you created.

• Thanks, Glenn, but I still can't find the size although I have looked at properties in my MS In Word. I even downloaded the document from my files in Lulu. I need the page size in inches or centimetres, so that I can make my revised interior the same size as the original – in order to use the original sized cover.
  • No worries

I had a look at revision 8 of Paper Boats.

It is in Crown Quarto format. The dimensions for this format are 7.44 x 9.68 inches.

For future reference, book dimensions for all book formats are listed on the Create > Print Book page.

I hope this helps.

• Many thanks, Glenn, for your continuing help which I much appreciate. I have dug a hole for myself which I don't know how to get out of. Forgive the length of my explanation. I want to publish a 2nd edition of "Paper Boats". When I went through the publication process all was well until the cover size was required. When I submitted my PDF of the cover the feedback was "wrong size". I submitted the new size but the proof copy was not wholly to my liking, so, for some while, I laboured over it again. But I ran into many cul-de-sacs of difficulty (not helped by downloading the free Windows 10 and Open Office which has rendered several of my word picture files no longer viewable In Word!). Last week I decided to ditch all that and revert to the size of my original publication. 

But I can no longer find the original files. Because of a physical disability I asked a friend to measure the dimensions of the 1st edition but I'm not sure that those will be right for the interior, or are right for the exterior cover. What I would dearly love to have from Lulu are the original details of the 1st edition, i.e. the size, dimensions, of the interior and of the cover. Then I could use them in the revision process and get the blessed thing published!

I know that the 8th revision is Crown Quarto because I selected that feeling sure that was what I originally had chosen for the 1st edition – but the cover, as I've said, was not accepted when I uploaded it. 

My apologies again and my profound thanks if you have the patience to read all this and the generosity to offer your helpful advice.

• Many thanks, Glenn, for your continuing help which I much appreciate. I have dug a hole for myself which I don't know how to get out of. Forgive the length of my explanation. I want to publish a 2nd edition of "Paper Boats". When I went through the publication process all was well until the cover size was required. When I submitted my PDF of the cover the feedback was "wrong size". I submitted the new size but the proof copy was not wholly to my liking, so, for some while, I laboured over it again. But I ran into many cul-de-sacs of difficulty (not helped by downloading the free Windows 10 and Open Office which has rendered several of my word picture files no longer viewable In Word!).

The best thing for Word files is Word  Smiley Happy

Last week I decided to ditch all that and revert to the size of my original publication.

Is that still on your Spotlight?

But I can no longer find the original files.

Are they not in the My Files Tab in your My Projects? If so they can be downloaded from there.

Because of a physical disability I asked a friend to measure the dimensions of the 1st edition but I'm not sure that those will be right for the interior, or are right for the exterior cover.

A bit is lost due to trimming.

What I would dearly love to have from Lulu are the original details of the 1st edition, i.e. the size, dimensions, of the interior and of the cover. Then I could use them in the revision process and get the blessed thing published!

If it's still in your Spotlight it tells you the book size there. In fact after a search I have found it >>  http://www.lulu.com/shop/mary-e-gould/paper-boats/paperback/product-22301883.html

I know that the 8th revision is Crown Quarto because I selected that feeling sure that was what I originally had chosen for the 1st edition – but the cover, as I've said, was not accepted when I uploaded it.

Is it a one-peice PDF? If so it will only work in the Advanced Cover Wizard.

• Grateful thanks again. Yes, I wish I could continue using Word for the cover but, puzzlingly, the installation of Open Office which I much regret now, has resulted in a blank screen when I try to load a recent Word cover picture image.

Unfortunately, the book showing in my Spotlight is not the original but my current revision. (Thank you for taking the trouble to look it up.)

I went to "My Files" and am working through the ridiculous number of cover files to reduce the number, but the original manuscript  is not there. I've downloaded it from Lulu but it does not solve my problem which is that I want the actual dimensions which I submitted to Lulu when they first published the book last year. in my innocence, I thought this would be a simple matter but I suppose once a book is published the original process is deleted.

My hope was that I coulld duplicate my original instructions to Lulu but I guess that was a hope too far.

• Grateful thanks again. Yes, I wish I could continue using Word for the cover

I would not even entertain the suggestion of using Word for art.

but, puzzlingly, the installation of Open Office which I much regret now, has resulted in a blank screen when I try to load a recent Word cover picture image.

Sorry, then don't use Word processors for art. I use an art/photo prog that is now 20 years old that was free at the time. There's still many good free ones around.  Here's one good example >>>  http://www.gimp.org/

Unfortunately, the book showing in my Spotlight is not the original but my current revision. (Thank you for taking the trouble to look it up.)

But you can still use the files for that as templates, even if you have to adjust the sizes.

I went to "My Files" and am working through the ridiculous number of cover files to reduce the number, but the original manuscript  is not there.

It must be there because Lulu do not delete the files for any book once it's been published (or allow you to delete them.) Click the Type tab so it's easier to look through them.

I've downloaded it from Lulu but it does not solve my problem which is that I want the actual dimensions which I submitted to Lulu when they first published the book last year.

I am at a loss, If it's published then the dimensions will be at the very least on your Spotlight, and it should also be listed in your My Projects along with the PDFs used to print it.  Here is what is under one of mine on Amazon via Lulu >>   Product Dimensions: 5.8 x 0.1 x 8.3 inches 

in my innocence, I thought this would be a simple matter but I suppose once a book is published the original process is deleted.

No, it's all listed in your My Projects.

My hope was that I coulld duplicate my original instructions to Lulu but I guess that was a hope too far.

You mean pay Lulu to do it? I am just getting confused.

• Thanks as always. I've installed gimp.org and look forward to using it. No, I'm certainly not trying to pay Lulu for it! Sorry for causing any confusion! Yes, I use "Type" for looking through My Files but the odd thing is that they are all dated this year 2015, but my original publication during last year, August I think, is not listed – there are no files previous to this year. There is no way that I'm confused about the dating because the book was published before my friend died in November 2014 and, although she was not able to read it she had smiled and kept it on the table beside her. Forgive the personal history.

It was because of my failure in accomplishing resizing that I wanted to return to the original dimensions but now I may well be able to do it in gimp.org. You have given me invaluaable help and encouragement and I should be OK now to accomplish something. All best wishes to you.