Google Books Shows My Entire Book in Preview

Dear All:

You are busy, and I am grateful for your support.

Google Books has my entire book on preview. I need that to stop if possible or find out why it is happening or how it happened. Google Books has a Lulu logo up and tells people the preview is sponsored by Lulu. So the next question is, how did that happen? Is this true? That is, has Lulu published my entire book through Google Books previews? The following is the URL that has the entire book in preview.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dzmjAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Does anybody know what I should do?

Galen

Comments

• Your paperback book is 656 pages long and the Google Play preview is 137 pages long.

I don't believe that they are displaying all of your book but Google Play does provide 25 %

as a preview.

• It normally does not happen if you don't click the Enable Google Book Search. I stopped using it when I found it showed far too much as a Preview.

• GalenLeonhardy wrote:

Dear All:

You are busy, and I am grateful for your support.

Google Books has my entire book on preview. I need that to stop if possible or find out why it is happening or how it happened. Google Books has a Lulu logo up and tells people the preview is sponsored by Lulu. So the next question is, how did that happen? Is this true? That is, has Lulu published my entire book through Google Books previews? The following is the URL that has the entire book in preview.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dzmjAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Does anybody know what I should do?

Galen

Its because your signed in to your google account. Log out and check it again. Probably only the first 15 or 20 pages at most will be exposed. I really don't know where he got that number at. Excuse me Sir.

• Bolter

I searched for the book on Google (note, I was not logged in to Google), found the book and was able to see 137 pages of the book. That clearly is not 15 or 20 pages. Previews are based on percentages not absolutes.

With ebooks I found, on further investigation, that for books published by commercial publishers the preview appears to be about 10 % of the full length of the book. I also found a 90 page book from a self-published author with a 20 % page preview. That is 22 % and not so wildly off the figure I quoted. Other books I looked at from self-published authors showed the following: 28 preview pages out 146, and 9 preview pages out of 28. If you do the math you will see I was not far wrong.

Clearly there are different strokes for different folks when it comes to Google previews but unless you have the clout of a publishing house what can you do if Google displays a large percentage of your book?

• danielblue wrote:

Bolter

I searched for the book on Google (note, I was not logged in to Google), found the book and was able to see 137 pages of the book. That clearly is not 15 or 20 pages. Previews are based on percentages not absolutes.

With ebooks I found, on further investigation, that for books published by commercial publishers the preview appears to be about 10 % of the full length of the book. I also found a 90 page book from a self-published author with a 20 % page preview. That is 22 % and not so wildly off the figure I quoted. Other books I looked at from self-published authors showed the following: 28 preview pages out 146, and 9 preview pages out of 28. If you do the math you will see I was not far wrong.

Clearly there are different strokes for different folks when it comes to Google previews but unless you have the clout of a publishing house what can you do if Google displays a large percentage of your book?

Listen man, even though it took several sign-in's to get to this post, (How anowing! Right?) I can assure you that my novel The Mighty Companion is 341 pages and my amazon.com preview when signed out it only 11 pages. Please take note:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Companion-Celeste-Kurt-Burnum/dp/1515189740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441644508&sr=8-1&keywords=kurt+burnum#reader_1515189740

Can you provide a link ot whatever it it sthat your talking about? I surly would like to know.

• on second thought, I can read your entire book I checked out mine too. I guess its just up for grabs. Just who do they think they are? and how did they get their information. I never uploaded anything to google. That Kinda Ps's me off.

notice at the bottom of the forum:

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2015 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Soooo, just exactly does that fit into the equation because our books are listed on LuLu. Are they not?

LULU V.S. GOOGLE. TONIGHT AT [email protected]!

• I did some more snooping and found that they take sections of the book. Like the first 5 through 11 pages were not in the preview and they skipped form page 68 to page 188 and god knows how else they butchered it up and served it up to readers. And that's the truth. Not that they only print 25% or some nuckle head reason like that. Although they left out the beginning they did include the ending.

I mean, "who wants to read a book that they've already finished?

• Hello Galen

Information about the Google Books preview and how they put it together is available here, in the Lulu knowledge base: Google Books FAQ

• Activating Google Books on my first book was the biggest mistake I ever made. I will most likely never again publish another book with Lulu. I will also never again enroll any of my books with Google Books. If you are still considering doing this, the following feedback I just received from Google Books may be helpful in making your decision. Take particular notice of the final two sentences in bold. You may also be interested to know that basically your WHOLE book can ultimately be viewed and read if someone did different Google searches using your chapter themes as keywords. Everytime someone does a search on a new topic and navigates to your book they will be able to read a different set of pages from your book relating to their search query.

"I understand your concern about your book's preview. I tried previewing your book on Google Books and could see that there are total 393 pages in it. Since the preview percentage is calculated after excluding the front matter (cover page, forewords and table of content, etc), the total number of pages I could view are 78  (20% x 393~79), as the preview percentage you've set in your account is 20% (minimum that we can offer at this time). All of the book's pages are eligible for preview up until the user previews 20% of your book's content. Kindly note that a page is not considered as read until it loads completely. Also, the preview experience differs from user to user and depends entirely on how they choose to browse through the available content. But, no matter how the users choose to look through the book, they won't be able to view more than the selected percentage of your book available for preview. To see how the preview browsing experience works, you can watch our explanatory video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXBvoZ4RWto.

Currently we cannot remove the preview of the books that live on Google Books. In case if you still want to remove the preview of your book, you have to deactivate your book.

Best regards,
    The Google Play Books Team"

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I will most likely never again publish another book with Lulu

It's not Lulu's fault that you clicked that option any more than it was their fault when I clicked it. But perhaps a greater description should be given on Lulu before people click it. In fact even the name Google Book Search does not realy give a clue to what it is. I thought it just listed books with Google's searchengine in the same way I can register my own site with searchengines. I only know Google as a searchengine, and don't even use it!

• The 20% is bull. I've got 137 out of 264 pages showing and the rest can be read as described by the Google post above. So much for copyright. Outrageous! 
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Have you seen how old this thread is?! The one above you is 3 years old. But, I no longer click the Google option, and have not done so for a long time because even 20% is too much.
  • Jon RayJon Ray Author
    I'm going to dig up this old article as it's relevant to my situation years later. I published my 2nd book back in Dec. 2018. However, after making the mistake up making my book Google searchable on my first book, I did not enable that on my 2nd book "Gorp: Dungeon Overlord". Yet the other day on an unrelated search, I found a good portion of my 2nd book up online with Google! It was enabled, even though I didn't authorize it. Can someone from Lulu look into this, please?
  • Hi Jon!

I searched Google Books for your title "Gorp: Dungeon Overlord" and can confirm that a preview of your eBook is currently displayed on Google Books. E-Books are automatically distributed to Google Play when the "Kobo and Everywhere Else" distribution option is selected. This will generate a preview of your eBook with Google Book Search. 

If you do not wish to have a preview of your eBook listed here, you can opt-out of distribution to "Kobo and Everywhere Else" from within your Lulu account by clicking the Manage button. 

You can also request that your book be removed specifically from Google by contacting Lulu Support

• Jon RayJon Ray Author
    Thanks Megan, I wouldn't have a problem with it if they didn't publish 60% of the book for all to read, that's going a bit into piracy.