Template madness

I'm far enough into my book project (a book pertaining to some aspect of North Dakota history) that I'm ready to start pouring it into the template provided by Lulu, but I am running into some problems.

The Word template pnly provides for an introduction and a sample chapter.

Here's what I have in mind -

Front matter:

Front page, Frontispiece (2 pages), Inside title, Copyright, TOC

So far, so good. Continuing -

Acknowledgments, Preface, photo page

And now the main content - the first of 8 chapters.

I run into trouble when trying to insert additional section headings for the following chapters so that the page numbering can continue uninterrupted.

After the last chapter, I plan for an appendix, references, 'additional reading', name index, and finally a place index.

My attempts to insert additional pages either result in each chapter starting at page 1 or the first chapter starting with page 12.

???

Dave

Comments

• The template is the worst thing you can use. It's best if you start with a raw Word document rather than trying to undo someone ele's formatting.

That being said, go to Insert/page number/ format/continue from previous. Or if your frontmatter is Roman Numerals, then start at page 1 for first chapter. Make sure you make the subsequent chapters "Continue from Previous.

Good luck.

A citizen of the world.

• How closely does Lulu prefer we adhere to the template?

Truth be told, while I've used Word for years, I've never delved into its more advanced features like section headings / section breaks, the TOC generator, header / footer work...

So I'm a bit lost at this point.

While the template has helped me see what is recommended if not required for a book, I realize it'd be best if I created my own document from scratch.

I guess I better sharpen up my search engine skills.

• You don't have to adhere to the template. Just read the distribution rules in Knowledgebase. Go to YouTube and look up anything you get stuck on along the way.

A citizen of the world.

• I'm far enough into my book project (a book pertaining to some aspect of North Dakota history) that I'm ready to start pouring it into the template provided by Lulu, but I am running into some problems.

Better if only used as a guide to learn how to create a template.

The Word template pnly provides for an introduction and a sample chapter.

Pages are auto-created to allow for all text.

Here's what I have in mind -

Front matter:

Front page, Frontispiece (2 pages), Inside title, Copyright, TOC

That would be Section One. I think Lulu's Templates are in at least Two Sections.

So far, so good. Continuing -

Acknowledgments, Preface, photo page

That can also be in Section One.

Those pages normally do not always have page numbers or other Headers and Footers, so can also be in Section One, (on new pages via Page Breaks) but if you want them in a TOC they will be in Section Two and often also with page numbers, but often Roman Numerals not part of the normal page number run.

And now the main content - the first of 8 chapters.

Headers and Footers usualy start here.

I run into trouble when trying to insert additional section headings for the following chapters so that the page numbering can continue uninterrupted.

After the last chapter, I plan for an appendix, references, 'additional reading', name index, and finally a place index.

My attempts to insert additional pages either result in each chapter starting at page 1 or the first chapter starting with page 12.

???

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Headers-and-footers-for-document-sections-c7962194-f0f7-42af-b808-f99c34700e14

• Try to set up your pages to look like the contents of any book. In that order, etc.

• I'm well on the way now - I've got the page numbering and section headings figured out. TOC is now in place and updates properly.

Now the challenge is to pour in the content from my previous working draft and fine-tune the formatting.

Now the template said something about not using the return key to insert space between paragraphs?

• I think there should be a separate file included with the template package intended for advanced users (or those able to obtain a clue fairly quickly).

Said file should include:
    A list of all the required margin settings for that particular book
    A list of required formatting details (copyright page in front, last page blank, etc)

Then a list of highly recommended settings / practices that will make generation of the press-ready PDF go smoother - both on the user's computer and during the upload to Lulu.

Just my $.00002
  • I think there should be a separate file included with the template package intended for advanced users (or those able to obtain a clue fairly quickly).

Is it not included in the ZIP file?

Said file should include:
    A list of all the required margin settings for that particular book

That often depends on the number of pages. In my books the greater the number of pages the greater Gutter setting I have. But avoid margins of less than 0.50 of an inch.

A list of required formatting details (copyright page in front, last page blank, etc)

The Lulu templates I have seen do have notes on the pages to delete once read. Blank pages often need to be added to get the page count to be divisible by four. But even so I add two blanks at each end because hardbacked require that, so the file for soft and hard backed may as well be the same. But, traditionally, books are laid out the same with the same page order, so have a look in some books.

Then a list of highly recommended settings / practices that will make generation of the press-ready PDF go smoother - both on the user's computer and during the upload to Lulu.

Don't forget it's just a template. The sort of help you are requesting is on Lulu.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Print-and-eBooks/tkbc-p/forums_kb

And the internet is full of Word help and guides.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Word-2010-tips-and-tricks-02b727c0-3826-40d3-8508-978fea06774c