Some questions on Lulu's EPUB-to-mobi conversion

Hello!

I'm about to start converting a print book to e-book format.  My last e-book project was published directly through Amazon but this time I'd like to use Lulu and its distribution system, so my book will hit Amazon and other e-book retailers.

The print book is non-fiction and has a number of diagrams in it.  I notice that EPUB supports SVG images but I know the Kindle doesn't (I had to convert them all to GIFs in my previous e-book).

(1) can I safely put SVG images in my EPUB in the knowledge that they'll appear properly on people's Kindles, or will my EPUB have to use GIFs instead?

(2) will I be able to download the converted mobi from Lulu to check on my own Kindle devices before it goes on sale at Amazon?

Thanks!

Damian

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

I wouldn't take any changes. I would convert to a format that is universally accepted.

Lulu distributes to Kindle the file you submit. It makes no changes to your content. Therefore if your images did not display properly on Kindle, they will not now do so regardless of the distributor.

I don't think you will be able to download the mobi file from Lulu, only the epub. You can only preview the Kindle on Amazon.

But again, why risk it? Download the Lulu Ebook Creator guide and follow it to a T.

A citizen of the world.

• Thanks, Maggie.

This is a problem, becuase there is no universally accepted file format. Lulu uses EPUB (as do most e-readers), but Kindle uses mobi. If there is no conversion, how does the distribution to Kindle work at all? No Amazon customers would be able to read the EPUB.

Thanks,

Damian

Hi Damian,

Yes; I too publish ebooks on both platforms and prepare them for clients. What I meant to say is use jpegs,  RGB. It makes your life simple. And they display great on all devices.

A citizen of the world.

• Thanks again, Maggie, I'm sorry I misunderstood.

I'll use JPGs for photographs and GIFs for the diagrams in there (I know that the Kindle handles both).  Without a mobi download I'll have to trust to luck that the book formatting converts acceptably well from EPUB to mobi.  There seem to be many differences between the formats (e.g. maximum recommended image sizes) - I'll have to stick to the minimum specs that I know both will support.

Damian

Hi Damian,

I recommend you publish through lulu but leave the Kindle option unclicked. That way you can publish the Kindle version through KDP directly. You can then preview the Kindle file separately in the backend using all their devices.

A citizen of the world.

• It is incredibly difficult to get pictures to display properly on Kindle, whether they be jpg, gif or png. I now use pictures of about 500 pixels wide by 700 long for Kindle ereaders and 800 x 1200 for tablets but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how much Kindle will compress your pictures.

Maggie's advice is spot on; publish directly on Kindle. Start a project and upload a few mock pages and then check the previews on all the different devices. You might have to go back to the drawing board or accept that your pictures won't display correctly on all devices. I found that iphones displayed correctly but android phones reduced my pictures to the size of postage stamps!

• Another option is to download the EPUB file after the Lulu conversion.

Then run that file through any of the EPUB to MOBI Converters found online. You can then download the converted file to your Kindle to check the formatting.

I use this site for these types of conversions: http://convertfileonline.com/