Making a style guide in LibreOffice Writer from scratch. Assistance needed...

Style Guide for 6x9 will not load nor display properly in LibreOffice Writer. Making one from scratch.

This is the print template info I have so far (Please correct me if I am wrong...)

For a 6x9 trade template:

Margins: Minimum of .50", opposing sides equaling in width; have margins set to "Mirrored".

Gutter: With the Margins set to 'Mirrored',  add 0.20 or 0.30 to the left margin considering there is no 'gutter' availability. (I read somewhere that the gutter should be halved when added to the margin)

Line spacing: Single, 1.25", or 1.50" is approopriate, but no larger. 

Fonts: Use a maximum of four different styles of headings, one being the text body. 

Line Indent: .25" - .30" indents for First Line Indent style.

Fonts: Palatino size 12. Unique fonts will be embedded

Does ANYONE here know how to set different headers and footers in LibreOffice so that I can have the first 7 pages with NO HEADER OR FOOTER and then have teh rest number correctly, and then have no header or footer again for the rest of the book.

I am really stressed out and I have been trying to do this for three hours....

thanks for any and all help!

Comments

•  

I would be better off with alot of things versus what i have if I could afford them, but i can't. And thanks for the extensive guide after I spent hours reading multiple online guides. Although i admit this one was better, it's still didn't help other than the fact that I learned what a page break was and knew now to look it upon google. Many of the steps in the guide conflicted with other steps, and when thought I found the answer I needed on Restarting Page Numbering, I realized I was back to square one as I could not get Roman Numberals to appear. I needed to go back to step one with Page Styles.

It turns out that I needed make a new Page Style to not only differentiate it from the other page styles, which I think there might be a total of 4 different ones and not 44 as the converted guide had given me, I also needed to specify roman numbers or arabic numbers, which I needed to use both upon making page breaks.

So the solution to my problem: Make Page Styles based on what was needed and when I make a Page Break, select the appropriate style..As as for the roman numerals to Arabic, also in page styles....

My next issue is making the footers going onto the appropriate sides of the page and not have them all crammed to the left. Does anyone reading or skimming this know how to fix this issue at the top of their head? 

I have included a picture below: In it, I transferred the .docx style guide into into libre office so I can use this as a platform for my other novels. Hopefully you can see teh 44 headers/footers that her inserted which I am slowing tryingto get rid of without messing up other sttributes. If one can see the footer, notice I have succeeded, but yet failed as all the footers now hug the left side and don't automatically adjust to the side of the corrosponding page. 

• I would be better off with alot of things versus what i have if I could afford them, but i can't.

Yes that's often the case and that's why I don't suggest that people should buy Adobe products  :-)

And thanks for the extensive guide after I spent hours reading multiple online guides.

I found a few, but that one seemed to cover it all and was a printable PDF.

Although i admit this one was better, it's still didn't help other than the fact that I learned what a page break was and knew now to look it upon google.

Such software as the one you are using is a clone of MS Office with a clone of Word within it. Lulu's own guides to Word can be just as helpful as any others. One problem with such software is it tries to emulate 100s of file types fro other WP software and it's not always very good at it, The Save As to copyrighted file types do not always work in the actual software and some times not on Lulu.

Many of the steps in the guide conflicted with other steps, and when thought I found the answer I needed on Restarting Page Numbering, I realized I was back to square one as I could not get Roman Numberals to appear. I needed to go back to step one with Page Styles.

I have no idea what Page Styles are. Do you mean a Template? I don't use them (is your image of a Lulu Template? Those are just instructions to delete once read.) To me a page style would be the page size and then margin settings, it's not really anything to do with fonts etc. Those are controlled by Heading and Paragraph Styles, which are very easy to select and adjust in Word.

It turns out that I needed make a new Page Style to not only differentiate it from the other page styles, which I think there might be a total of 4 different ones and not 44 as the converted guide had given me, I also needed to specify roman numbers or arabic numbers, which I needed to use both upon making page breaks.

I think you mean Breaks, that allow you to create Sections that can each have its own setting (such as no Headers or Footers, but otherwise all the rest the same). or to simply create a new page within a section. Normally there are just three Sections. Front Matter, Story, blank pages.

So the solution to my problem: Make Page Styles based on what was needed and when I make a Page Break, select the appropriate style..As as for the roman numerals to Arabic, also in page styles....

My next issue is making the footers going onto the appropriate sides of the page and not have them all crammed to the left. Does anyone reading or skimming this know how to fix this issue at the top of their head? 

Yes, but in Word. Sorry. Try a Word guide.  https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Word-2010-tips-and-tricks-02b727c0-3826-40d3-8508-978fea06774c                                 http://www.mswordhelp.com/

I have included a picture below: In it, I transferred the .docx style guide into into libre office so I can use this as a platform for my other novels. Hopefully you can see teh 44 headers/footers that her inserted which I am slowing tryingto get rid of without messing up other sttributes. If one can see the footer, notice I have succeeded, but yet failed as all the footers now hug the left side and don't automatically adjust to the side of the corrosponding page. 

Sorry, I have no idea what I am looking at. What are all those Convert things? The top of the software would have been more useful to see what tool yer are using.

• You don't know what Page Styles are? Is this a joke or a test? MSWord,LibreOffice and OpenOffice have things Styles: Character styles, parapgraph styles and so on. They are quick styles settings that can be selected that change everything in a document and I am just learning how to make it allwork...

And I asked if anybody knew how to solve the footers in their head, not throw me another guide to read. I have already mentioned I have been looking through guides and Help pages already without knowing exactly the proper lingo of how to actually do it, so maybe I am an idiot. I saw my solution on MSWord as a selection for Odd/Even Pages, but nothing I cna find for LibreOffice unless I didn't know what to look for which is why I am asking those who have used this software before.

And with the image, you have no idea idea what you are looking at? I just mentioned it. It's libre office, the software of the first guide you sent me that I have been tlaking about this whole time, that was was to opened the docx style guide and ALL those 44 issues are the headers and footers under Page Styles (Which you don't know about) that messed up the whole guide, and now I am trying to fix it this mess and place the page numbers properly. How they should be done. I tried making a guide from scratch and messed up my own works by not know the who page breaks and page style crap.

I just want to get a 'proper' template made for my novel currently in a 8.5 x 11 document with four different styles of fonts. That it is. there is nothing elset it. If I want to do excessive proficient processing and data entry, I have those guides. But as I work and then work when i get home, I only have so many hours in my night to read up on these guides. I need a simple answer to what can be a simple problem. I have been trying to fix this for days because I am expected to read guides. As it is, I am having massive computer issue. So....

Is there anyone ELSE in this forum who knows about Page Styles, page breaks, and making headers and footers appear on opposite sides of the page during the main body of text in LIBREOFFICE. And no, I do not need another guide...

• You don't know what Page Styles are? Is this a joke or a test?

Erm, no.

MSWord,LibreOffice and OpenOffice have things Styles: Character styles, parapgraph styles and so on. They are quick styles settings that can be selected that change everything in a document and I am just learning how to make it allwork...

Indeed they do, and that is what I told you. As you say you are just learning ... They are called Styles that control many individual things. An entire page once set up is called a Template. MS Word etc., are full of pre-formed ones.

And I asked if anybody knew how to solve the footers in their head, not throw me another guide to read.

Well sorry about that, but no one pays us for giving advice on the forum, but I at least went to the trouble of searching for handy guides.

I have already mentioned I have been looking through guides and Help pages already without knowing exactly the proper lingo of how to actually do it, so maybe I am an idiot. I saw my solution on MSWord as a selection for Odd/Even Pages, but nothing I cna find for LibreOffice unless I didn't know what to look for which is why I am asking those who have used this software before.

Did I not also give you a link to that freeware software? I also said I myself use Word and Lulu's own guides are for Word, also. One other forum regular uses OpenOffice I think, but he's not replied.

And with the image, you have no idea idea what you are looking at? I just mentioned it. It's libre office, the software of the first guide you sent me that I have been tlaking about this whole time,

Erm, yes, but what is all that at the side of your page? Then again without the actual Taskbar included in the PrtScn it could be anything. Just what is it Converting in that long list?

that was was to opened the docx style guide and ALL those 44 issues are the headers and footers under Page Styles (Which you don't know about)

Oh I know all about Styles, I do my own templates, it being Self-publishing (click my banner) but what you mean are called Templates, set up using the dozens of individual Style tools.

that messed up the whole guide, and now I am trying to fix it this mess and place the page numbers properly. How they should be done. I tried making a guide

A guide?

from scratch and messed up my own works by not know the who page breaks and page style crap.

You need to read the guides. That is the purpose they serve, for learners.

I just want to get a 'proper' template made for my novel currently in a 8.5 x 11 document

Lulu's are "proper", but unless you know how to use them (and they do tell you what is what) then you will not know how to adjust any defaults. But Lulu's are for Word. You need to learn the tool they are made for. Learn how to use your WP for a start. Sorry but there are no shortcuts.

with four different styles of fonts.

Why four? Most books use one. And unless you can convert to PDF with embedded fonts they have to be Lulu default fonts such as TNR.

That it is. there is nothing elset it. If I want to do excessive proficient processing and data entry, I have those guides. But as I work and then work when i get home, I only have so many hours in my night to read up on these guides.

Join the club. I have just spent over a year creating a new story, and I already know how to set up templates before I even started.

I need a simple answer to what can be a simple problem. I have been trying to fix this for days because I am expected to read guides. As it is, I am having massive computer issue. So....

No, offence, but you really do need to read those guides. Setting up templates is not as simple as you assume, that's why Lulu provide them, but they are for the genuine Word, not for some clone. Simply type your exact need in to Google and it will come up with specific advice. Have you tried actually clicking in to the Headers and Footers? Tried right clicking on everything? For example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2dgB0udhA

Is there anyone ELSE in this forum who knows about Page Styles, page breaks, and making headers and footers appear on opposite sides of the page during the main body of text in LIBREOFFICE. And no, I do not need another guide...

Well, sorry but you do need a guide, it saves us typing a billion words ... all your answers are already on line.

• I have never seent the word 'template' used to describe a page style.

For the fact that no one pays you for giving advice, it's a forum. Forums are there for help and support from the community with just appreciation and 'thank you' as the accepted forms of payment. I must say i do thank you and appreciate the fact that you did spend your time looking for guides to help me, but I will say that i did mention i was burnt out from guides and online help just so no one would spend their time trying to find one for me. Another guide just made my eye twitch. 

Before posting to this forum and bother people, I did look up people's posted questions and the feedback they recieved by a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people willing to offer their advice and suggestions. I thought I would get the same, but maybe I really do need to offer up payment for advice.... Maybe I am a new member and I am being avoided. But, I give up.

I went to reddit and got all the answers I needed from people on what to do step-by-step in relation to LibreOffice's layout. My next step is to just do the damned thing and convert it to PDF, submit it and hope it comes out right when I get a copy.

• So how did it go? Get it all done okay?

I use OpenOffice myself, and can help out if you need anything else.

It's all pretty complicated until you figure it out. LOL

• Who knows? Ask at reddit how it went Smiley Happy

Indeed, there's no shortcuts and things do have to be learned even if that means dredging through a pile of Help. I wonder how people got on before the internet? They must have bothered to learn how stuff worked with little or no help from other humans.

• You can use different headers and footers on different pages in your document, so long as the pages use different page styles. LibreOffice provides several predefined page styles, such as First page, Left page and Right page, or you can create a custom page style.

You can also use the mirrored page layout if you want to add a header to a page style that has different inner and outer page margins. To apply this option to a page style, choose Format - Page, click the Page tab, and in the Layout settings area, choose “Mirrored” in the Page layout box.

For example, you can use page styles to define different headers for even and odd pages in a document.

1. Open a new text document.
    2. Choose View - Styles and Formatting and click the Page Styles icon in the Styles and Formatting sidebar deck.
    3. Right-click "Right Page" in the list of page styles and choose Modify.
    4. In the Page Styles dialog, click the Header tab.
    5. Select Header on and click the Organizer tab.
    6. In the Next Style box, select "Left Page".
    7. Click OK.
    8. In the Styles and Formatting window, right-click "Left Page" in the list of page styles and choose Modify.
    9. In the Page Styles dialog, click the Header tab.
    10. Select Header on and click the Organizer tab.
    11. In the Next Style box, select "Right Page".
    12. Click OK.
    13. Double-click "Right Page" in the list of page styles to apply the style to the current page.
    14. Enter text or graphics in the header for the Left Page style. After the next page is added to your document, enter text or graphics in the header for the Right Page style.

Source: https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Defining_Different_Headers_and_Footers

LibreOffice is not a clone of Word.

It is ok not to know things.