Lulu support extremely helpful

I just want to tell you all how helpful Lulu support was, especially Jessica. My son wrote a story and his little daughter illustrated it. I agreed to publish the book on Lulu. I explained to him that he had to make the file a PDF which he did. Unfortunately he did not embed the fonts. Foolishly I ordered 3 copies instead of just one and when I received the books I saw that the  text was garbled. However when I contacted Lulu support and sent them some pages. a kind, efficient and very professional lady called Jessica embedded the fonts for me and sent me 3 complimentary copies which are perfect. THANK YOU LULU and JESSICA.

Maggie tells me we are now informed when the fonts are not embedded in PDF files- I wasn't told. I was informed that my pictures needed to be 300 resolutions but no mention that the fonts wern't embedded.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I just want to tell you all how helpful Lulu support was, especially Jessica. My son wrote a story and his little daughter illustrated it. I agreed to publish the book on Lulu. I explained to him that he had to make the file a PDF which he did. Unfortunately he did not embed the fonts. Foolishly I ordered 3 copies instead of just one and when I received the books I saw that the  text was garbled. However when I contacted Lulu support and sent them some pages. a kind, efficient and very professional lady called Jessica embedded the fonts for me and sent me 3 complimentary copies which are perfect. THANK YOU LULU and JESSICA.

Nice. Lulu often charges a few $100 for that service.

Maggie tells me we are now informed when the fonts are not embedded in PDF files- I wasn't told.

Hrmm, that's strange. I am sure it often does pop up a warning or even changes it to TNR and has done for a while. Of course the trick is not to use fonts that have the be embedded  Smiley Happy  But another trick can be to create the pages as full images. Create the page contents as jpgs and paste them to the pages. That's often the best method with pages that are heavy with images as per childrens' books.

I was informed that my pictures needed to be 300 resolutions but no mention that the fonts wern't embedded.

Yup, at least 300 dpi. But would the DPI not be obvious in your PDF file? A bit pixelated perhaps? I am not at all sure if they remain at the DPI they are created at after pasting to Word pages, I don't think that they are. But it always helps to start with a high DPI in the first place.

• LarikaLarika Bibliophile

Thanks Kevin- what a good idea to make all pages jpg. especially in a childrens' or art book. I think I will do that with the book I am presently working on, which is primarily images. I have made all the pictures 300dpi. I am creating my book in Microsoft Publisher.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I would suggest Word as the better option, unless you can afford one of Adobe's highly priced offspring.

Lulu seems to be geared towards Word Docxs. I know that my Word Save As PDFs work here. But I only use Lulu's suggested fonts, apart from on covers that is, and they are art done in an art application. (PaintShop Pro 5 from 1995  Smiley Very Happy )