More contral over lulu published ebooks

It's a wonder that any of my ebooks get found on Amazon. I try using the key words used here on my page but they never work. At least for the paperback I'm allowed to go to Amazon and change them. But support says that we are not allowed to change the ones associated with the kindles beause lulu published them. Well they also published the paperback right? So why can't have a little more control over this so our books can be found. After speaking to one support person in Amazon I was told there weren't any key search tags even connected to my books which means the book won't show up except by accident. It would be nice if we had an option or if lulu could work something out with Amazon so we could add or change key words to our ebooks. We have the option with the paperbacks which is very nice. This would help our books be found increasing the chances of getting a sale and that would profit both of us.

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I think it is down to Ingrams rather than Lulu that no keywords are sent across with ebooks.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons that I mostly publish ebook directly on Kindle.

However, the thing about search is that it is highly convoluted. The ranking your book gets (i.e. first page etc) is more than just the key words, and other factors come into play, such as date of publication and volume of sales. My Beautiful Book which has sold loads of copies and had loads of reviews is likely to get a far better ranking than My Beautiful Book which has only sold one copy. My Beautiful Book (yet another) with no sales will be on Page One today but not tomorrow, or next week. The only time this wouldn't matter is if there were only a handful of titles with the same name or keywords. If you make your keywords very esoteric chances are not many people are going to search for that although is someone does chances are good that you make a sale.

Also, when you publish on Kindle you are only allowed to set seven keywords. There might be fifty search terms, or more, which are relevant to your book. Sometimes just one letter can make all the difference as whether you find what you are looking for. My feeling is that searching is all down to serendipity. Even if you manage to keep your book on the first few pages for those seven keywords - no easy task - just think about all the other possible searches you are missing out on completely because of the limitation.

It still amazes me that anyone manages to find our books and buy them.

• True Danielblue. I have found my books using key tags not connected to my book which is good. Amazon kindle was just too complicated for me. I do think Glenn mentioned something once about looking into keywords being sent. At least lulu should give us something we can use to change or add them on Amazon. The paperbacks are easy and support has been very helpful. Amazon has never complained about me changing tags. In fact they told me to feel free to change them anytime and they would help. It's free too.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

There's millions of books on Amazon and with only 7 keywords possible it's almost impossible to come up with Keywords that 1000s of other books don't also use. Multiply that by the number of books for sale on line and Keywords become pointless. (They are of more use embedded in to code for each pages of websites.)

The category a book is placed in narrows down peoples' search results which is handy in sites' built in searches.

Sales Ranking is not the same as search engine ranking, but places like Amazon will often put top sellers at the top of most searches on their sites. Google and other internet searches do not work the same way. With those you get far more hits if you actually register with them or even pay them money.

http://www.addme.com/submission/free-submission-start.php    (If you use that service you will often end up with 100s of web-marketing advice e-mails, there's no harm in that.)

Nothing beats actually promoting the book/s, though. One day I may bother to do that!

I also publish direct to Kindle and there's an interesting new beta tool on KDP. It compares one's new book with others in the same section/s (Amazon have sub-sections) and comes up with a graph of sales compared to prices. It starts from free up to around $8. The line is almost totally flat along the bottom of the graph, apart from at $2.99 where there's a needle-like spike rocketing up the graph.